Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bottle issue- I need advice or tips to get him off of it

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:03 AM
  • 7 Replies

My 14month old son Logan is still attached to the bottle. I have tried a few tricks i knew from my first son which worked on him but not Logan. I have put an oz of water in the bottle and put his formula in sippy cups and he just refuses it, will keep thowing the sippy cup until he gets the bottle.  He drinks from sippy cups all day up until 6pm then he has to have his bottle. He doesn't take it to bed with him its only when he drinks his formula.

If your wondering why i am keeping him on formula yet he is in the second stage and it's just unitl he has enough teeth to chew vitimins up.

Any way my oldest son was also attached but we got him off the bottle with the trick his doctor told me to do, he was 13months old when we got him off.   Logan's doctor keeps telling me you need to get him off the bottle period and i am like i have tried so many times that it's a fight. I keep thinking he will give it up when he is ready but again i also keep thinking what happens if he will never be ready and be 3 or 4 years old and still need to have the bottle.

This also don't help me much but he is more senstive and has more securtiy problems than his older brother. Logan has to have his blankie every where he goes, and i think he uses the bottle as another part of secerity.  Not only that since Logan was 3 months old he was so attached to me, no one not even his father could hold him without him screaming. He has gotten better since he started walking at 12months and 2 weeks old, but he still has some issues with it, he will now go by daddy or grandmas with his blankie, if he don't have his blankie he will not go by them.

Any tips on helping him get through his bottle attachment or securtiy attachment, i am not asking for him to give up his blankie but for him to carry it every where is getting old. His brother was never like this

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
crimsonangel180
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:11 AM
There are some sippy cups that have soft nipples similar to a bottle. I just took my twins away at 12 mos and dealt with the tantrums
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylawv2
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:15 AM
Idk, I didnt give her a choice I just took it away. It only took a couple of days.for her to get used to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momoftwins911
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:16 AM
My twins were 15 months old when I took their bottles away and how I did it was I set them on the counter on day and we threw all their bottles in a bag. I told them we were giving them to babies since they were big boys now. I also bought sippy cups with their favorite cartoon character (which at the time was spongebob).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2b2008
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:17 AM
Just take it away. And dont give him. Choice. And dont give in! He will drink out of a sippy cup if that's the only thing offered!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2boysyahoo.com
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I have tried sippy cups with the soft top and he refuses, i have tried sippy cups with cartoon characters and even let him pick out one for himself he could use, and that doesn't work

kjbugsmom1517
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:30 AM
We did the put the bottles in abag with my youngest and it worked great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bieg9093
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, if you have him down to one bottle at night, I'd call that a win.  I say let him have it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)