Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Skinny toddler

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:22 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm wondering if any of you know of ways to fatten up a very thin toddler. My DD has always been very tall and  thin and since she was sick last week, looks like a little skeleton now and has since become a very picky eater. She'll now only eat saltine crackers, fried eggs (in butter), and yogurt.... it's been impossible to get anything else in her. She won't eat fruits, veggies, or drink any milk or juice anymore. We even ordered a pizza last night to tempt her to eat but she took one bite and spit it out. That used to be her favorite food. I'm at my wits end because she just won't eat anything else! DS on the other hand, has always been a chubby mr so I really worry about DD. I plan on taking her to the dr when I can get an appointment next week but what can I do in the meantime?

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
samanthaleah84
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:23 AM
Talk to her ped and maybe give her some pediasure. It is high in calories. My DD only eats pediasure due to medical reasons. I wish she's bulk up with it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobynS
by Robyn on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Hmmm... what about smoothies? You could put all kinds of things in them (natural peanut butter, etc). You could even use Pediasure to make the smoothie--that would add vitamins and such and then you can thicken it up with bananas and PB or whatever you think she might enjoy. Have her help make it--kids are more likely to eat something they helped make.

Good luck!

MiCHELLEx
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM
Vitamins? Pediasure? Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyBirdV
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I've tried smoothies but she won't drink them :/   I give her a chewable multivitamin every day, which she'll usually eat. She won't even drink milk (I offer whole milk at dinner) so I fear she won't drink pediasure... but it's worth a shot! Thanks ladies.

.Angelica.
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:48 PM

my son is tall and skinny and very picky. he's growing well and active so i haven't been worried

erinsmom1964
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Sounds as if she isn't really all the way better.  Maybe for now stick with bland foods( toast, broth with noodles , real ginger ale)  and if it were me i would get her some probiotics  and sprinkle it on something she will eat like Greek Yogurt.  It will help get her tummy back in balance so she is hungry and wants to eat.  We use Culturelle for kids you can get it just about anywhere.

momoftwins_2
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:22 PM

pediasure? I give them to my girls who are pretty petite and they love them. They are expensive though.

nf1
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:54 PM
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletPlacebo
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:23 PM

The chocolate Carnation instant breakfast is way cheaper than pediasure and very full of vitamins/minerals and yummy. My daughter has 2-3 a day to keep her weight up.

2and2onway
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I would try to encourage pediasure...remember that kids tend to not eat if they had a stomach virus or such that they are puking out of fear of puking again. Let her have some time to mentally recoperate. If you are more concerned I would definitely make her an appointment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)