Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to Talk to Little Girls

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:25 AM
  • 6 Replies

This is a WONDERFUL and important article and something I think everyone should read. So I'm sharing it EVERYWHERE!

Enjoy!

How to Talk to Little Girls

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
erinsmom1964
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Loved it!!  This will sound weird but before my DD was born I gave this so much thought and was worried she would be good looking and how to get her to learn to tune that kind of talk about her looks out and concentrate on her person.  KWIM? Any women who is good looking has dealt with the issues surrounding it.  The way your treated differently and have different expectations then women who are not.  

Then she was born and I realized I have an even bigger job ahead as she is beautiful and has the most gorgeous red hair.  From day one EVERYONE comments on her looks.  complete strangers come up to us on a daily basis to say how beautiful she and her hair is.  No one understands my distress over this.  Of course I am grateful she doesn't look like the ugly tree fell on her BUT it is going to be an uphill battle to ensure she doesn't listen to her own press...make sense?  

We were down in Denver and a modeling scout stopped us and got very very pushy when I didn't want his card.  he acted as if i was an idiot not to want to attempt to cash in on my childs looks.  AGHHH

I am going to copy this and at least give it to our close relatives and friends she sees all the time and hopefully they will REALLY read it!!

I am always setting her up to here from me how smart she is or how kind she has been because to me thats what really matters!!

RobynS
by Robyn on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Our society, in particular, really sets our girls up for a lot of negative things. Often they think that beauty is all that matters. If they are beautiful (and IF they believe it) they may rely too heavily on that. If they're not (or if they don't BELIEVE that they are), they may feel like they'll never be worthy of love, a good job, etc.

I've always tried very hard to not focus solely on looks. After reading the article, I'm definitely going to work on my family members, too. Don't want Grandma to undo all our efforts! ;)

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Loved it!!  This will sound weird but before my DD was born I gave this so much thought and was worried she would be good looking and how to get her to learn to tune that kind of talk about her looks out and concentrate on her person.  KWIM? Any women who is good looking has dealt with the issues surrounding it.  The way your treated differently and have different expectations then women who are not.  

Then she was born and I realized I have an even bigger job ahead as she is beautiful and has the most gorgeous red hair.  From day one EVERYONE comments on her looks.  complete strangers come up to us on a daily basis to say how beautiful she and her hair is.  No one understands my distress over this.  Of course I am grateful she doesn't look like the ugly tree fell on her BUT it is going to be an uphill battle to ensure she doesn't listen to her own press...make sense?  

We were down in Denver and a modeling scout stopped us and got very very pushy when I didn't want his card.  he acted as if i was an idiot not to want to attempt to cash in on my childs looks.  AGHHH

I am going to copy this and at least give it to our close relatives and friends she sees all the time and hopefully they will REALLY read it!!

I am always setting her up to here from me how smart she is or how kind she has been because to me thats what really matters!!

.Angelica.
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:09 PM

i'll have to read later.

momoftwins_2
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:26 PM
I like it. I don't thinly there's anything harmful about it though..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobynS
by Robyn on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:26 PM

What do you mean? You don't think it's harmful to tell them they're beautiful? If so, I agree. I think it's when you tell them ALL the time and don't focus on any of their other wonderful traits. I see it all the time and I am guilty of it too. I work in the playroom at a gym and when a little girl comes in I often comment on her outfit or her hair FIRST. I'm just trying to make conversation and make her feel comfortable. But I'm going to work harder to focus on other things besides appearance from now on.

Quoting momoftwins_2:

I like it. I don't thinly there's anything harmful about it though..

arthistmom
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this

This is an excellent essay. I've read it elsewhere, but I'm pleased to see it here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)