Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has your 4 year old had a vision test at the pediatrician's yet?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM
  • 27 Replies

Ashley had one done at her checkup the other day, along with a hearing test. She did great on the hearing test, didn't miss a single beep. But according to their eye chart, she has really bad eyes. They told me to just wait until next year's checkup, and if she still does badly on the eye chart, then she'll need to see an eye doctor. Has this happened to anyone else?

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arthistmom
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are able, why don't you take her to the pediatric optometrist now rather than wait another year? If she does have bad eyes, it'll be that much sooner that the optometrist can help correct her vision. Good luck.

.Angelica.
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:43 PM

we actually haven't had his eyes or ears tested.

Even though sometimes I'd swear he has hearing problems I know he doesn't, he is just good at ignoring. lol He can be in the other room playing and start making comments on what we are talking about.

AHmom103
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:44 PM

The thing is, we really don't have the money to do it, unless we really need to. We just had to replace my car (within the last week) and we don't have any kind of vision coverage. The pediatrician said that she might have just tested badly because she didn't understand the test, but I'm not sure. And we don't have any pediatric optometrists around here.

Quoting arthistmom:

If you are able, why don't you take her to the pediatric optometrist now rather than wait another year? If she does have bad eyes, it'll be that much sooner that the optometrist can help correct her vision. Good luck.

AHmom103
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Ashley does that too. lol.

Quoting .Angelica.:

we actually haven't had his eyes or ears tested.

Even though sometimes I'd swear he has hearing problems I know he doesn't, he is just good at ignoring. lol He can be in the other room playing and start making comments on what we are talking about.

2boysmommy.js
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:46 PM

we take them to the eye dr when they are 3

nf1
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:49 PM
No,not yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SP_Mama
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:50 PM

My son failed both hearing and vision test at his 4 yr. checkup.  We were told it's actually common because they just may not get the hang of it yet.  We took 6 months later and he passed both with flying colors.

VioletPlacebo
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Yep, at age 3 and 4. We had the opposite problem though, she wouldn't talk at all during the hearing test either year because she gets all shy at the doctor's office. I know she hears just fine so no worries here lol  

2and2onway
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:45 PM

My Dr sent us directly to the eye dr and Sara got glasses. I wouldn't wait and just take her to the eye dr now.

ddhb2007
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:07 PM
Yes. She's had hers tested the last couple of years at her annual check up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)