Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Afraid of his room?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:36 PM
  • 8 Replies

my 4 year old all the sudden claims to be afraid of his room. He also says he's afraid to go into the bathroom as well as it's across the hall. He says something from his room is going to come get him.

This wouldn't be odd to me except that he only claims this during the day. At night he goes to sleep just fine in the dark with door closed, no complaints or saying he's afraid.

I know he's making it up cause he'll go in there no problem when he wants to. Just thought it was funny (and frustrating at times)

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
javamama08
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I am having a similar problem with my 3 year old son. About six weeks ago he all of a sudden became scared of sleeping in his room at night. He says the shadows are going to get him. When I try to get him to sit on his bed at night, he starts shaking and trembling and crying that he is scared. We have had to start letting him fall asleep in our bed and then moving him (if possible) to his bed. Sometimes he will stay all night but mostly, if he wakes up, he comes to our bed.

I just wish I knew what got him started with all this "shadow gonna get me" stuff.

Any ideas?

momoftwins_2
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM

mine are starting to be afraid of the dark and they are 4, saying something is going to get them. lol

.Angelica.
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM

i'm not sure. does he have a nightlight? we had to take my  son's out because it actually scared him.

But my son isn't actually afraid of his room.

Quoting javamama08:

I am having a similar problem with my 3 year old son. About six weeks ago he all of a sudden became scared of sleeping in his room at night. He says the shadows are going to get him. When I try to get him to sit on his bed at night, he starts shaking and trembling and crying that he is scared. We have had to start letting him fall asleep in our bed and then moving him (if possible) to his bed. Sometimes he will stay all night but mostly, if he wakes up, he comes to our bed.

I just wish I knew what got him started with all this "shadow gonna get me" stuff.

Any ideas?

.Angelica.
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM

that's the thing though, he's not afraid of the dark. lol. it's light out when he claims to be scared. at night when it is dark he's fine.

Quoting momoftwins_2:

mine are starting to be afraid of the dark and they are 4, saying something is going to get them. lol

javamama08
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:31 PM

No, he doesn't have a nightlight that stays on all night. He has a small stick light that he turns on when he needs it.

I thought maybe we should try a night light that puts stars on the ceiling or something fun. But I don't want to go through the hassle of having to return it if it doesn't work for him.

Since this just started about six weeks ago we are baffled and just looking for a solution.

nf1
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:03 PM
I have the same problem
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammiesmom09
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I'm having a problem with my 2 yr daughter as well. She loves her room during the day, wants to play in it, will go in there by herself no issues. However once night comes she won't go in there by herself, won't sleep in her room and if she does it's not for the whole night. I've tried changing her room around, I have a night light, even left her room light on, leave the hallway light on but she says she's scared of her room and doesn't want to sleep in it. I have no clue what else to do. It's weird because she use to sleep all night in her crib would sleep 11 hrs but not now. She is in a toddler bed and loves it slept maybe a handful of nights all night but it's been months since she's slept straight through in her bed. I feel your pain

Kristenn
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM
Haven't dealt with this... Bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)