Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Preschool 101- Share your best tips here!

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2011 at 10:53 AM
  • 11 Replies

This post is the place for us to give advice to Moms who have kids in preschool or are heading there soon!

Here are some of the top tips from moms in the group
:

1.    Talk about what your child can expect (other kids, teachers, listening, etc).

2.    Help your child feel more comfortable by setting up play dates with other kids in class.

3.    Use Pre-K workbooks to help familiarize and reinforce learning.

4.    Allow your child to be more independent at home.

5.    Be consistent.

wave

For more tips:

Please share your tips, advice, and experiences here!

by on Dec. 16, 2011 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RutterMama
by on Dec. 16, 2011 at 11:16 PM

1. BE Consistent - 100% of the time.

jimsusan
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

i had checked out a preschool and was not able to swing the cost for my duaghter to attend. there was the cost of the registration fee, supplie fees and then the monthly fee. I had to take her out of daycare a year ago, loss of income. i will be putting her into Pre-K this coming year. 

When researching for a preschool inquire about  a scholarship programs.  That would help on some of the costs

Jenn021008
by on Feb. 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM

My son just turned 4 and I have started him in preschool. He went the first day on Thursday and loved it..then Friday he went and by lunch time he wanted to go home because he did not like what was made for lunch and did not want to do nap time. Do I fight him and make him stay or take him home. I picked him up because I dont want him to not want to go back over one experience. What should I do if this happens again ladies?

PEEK05
by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM

What did you decide to do? I would have kept him in preschool and worked on talking to him about the different kinds of routines and foods and how it can still be fun, just different.

Quoting Jenn021008:

My son just turned 4 and I have started him in preschool. He went the first day on Thursday and loved it..then Friday he went and by lunch time he wanted to go home because he did not like what was made for lunch and did not want to do nap time. Do I fight him and make him stay or take him home. I picked him up because I dont want him to not want to go back over one experience. What should I do if this happens again ladies?

Jenn021008
by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I took him with me that day, but from that day on I have told him that we have to stay there because Mommy has to work and he can't go to work with me. He is getting better at it but still crys some days when I drop him off. Is the crying normal for every kid or is there something that I should be worried about happening at preschool that is making him not want to go?

LyTe684
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM
It's normal. It's a significant change for him. New people, new place, new rules. Explain that even if he doesn't want to nap, that it is 'quiet time'. He can just lay there and relax. Get him into trying new things at home too. You know.. Just take a bite or two. Just to show him that it's okay.

Quoting Jenn021008:

I took him with me that day, but from that day on I have told him that we have to stay there because Mommy has to work and he can't go to work with me. He is getting better at it but still crys some days when I drop him off. Is the crying normal for every kid or is there something that I should be worried about happening at preschool that is making him not want to go?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhwrn1
by on May. 15, 2012 at 5:37 AM

My kids love school, always have. Probably b/c they have been in daycare since they were infants b/c I work. My middle hates to miss a day and is excited about K next year.

PEEK05
by on May. 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

It's definitely normal. I bet over time you will see that it happens less and less until it doesn't happen at all.

Quoting Jenn021008:

emtgirl885
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM
Do not hesitate to ask questions about the curriculum that is being taught to your child.
maxswolfsuit
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:53 PM

I couldn't disagree with #3 more. 

Workbooks don't provide the type of learning and practice preschoolers need or benefit from. 

Learning should be fun, interactive and engaging. Workbooks just can't provide that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN