Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Your Child: ABCs, Colors, & More!

Posted by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 12:31 PM
  • 61 Replies
7 moms liked this

This post is the place for us share advice on how to help our kids learn the basics- ABCs, numbers, shapes, colors, and more!

Here are some of the top tips from moms in the group:

1. Make learning fun.

2. Don't stress about it.

3. Read together.

4. Repetition is key.

5. Don't compare your child to other kids.

6. Use puzzles, fridge magnets, and foam bath toys to help teach ABCs, numbers, and shapes.

7. Books, DVDs, flash cards, and learning websites can help in the learning process.

reading

For more tips:

Please share your tips and advice here!

by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SkylursMomma
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 12:32 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulMommy1221
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 12:54 PM
6 moms liked this
Every child learns at different rates. Taking the stress out of education is the best! Don't worry, your child won't go to kindergarten and fail =) keep talking and playing with your child =) Play is the BEST teacher at this age!
adulation
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 12:55 PM
5 moms liked this

I like this tips.  I pretty much use them all.  When we are chalking outside or coloring, I use it as an opportunity to teach her letters and numbers and practice her writing, but since we're just playing there is no pressure and it is just fun.

when we are out and about doing things we count things or when we have snacks like gold fish i will have her add and subtract them.. "here are 10 goldfish.  eat 5, and how many do you have left?" 

:)

zolanmel
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM
Bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
froghopper
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 2:41 PM
4 moms liked this
starfall is a pretty good website for phonics
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Dec. 22, 2011 at 2:43 PM

good tips!

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Dec. 22, 2011 at 2:43 PM

I completely agree.  I've never used flash cards with my kids.  And my son refused to focus on learning anything but we just talked about them and now at 4.5 he is reading, writing, etc.

Quoting JoyfulMommy1221:

Every child learns at different rates. Taking the stress out of education is the best! Don't worry, your child won't go to kindergarten and fail =) keep talking and playing with your child =) Play is the BEST teacher at this age!

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
alm1988
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM
2 moms liked this

your baby can read dvd. we try to do this daily. then i have flash cards with abc's, colors,shapes, and animals we also try to do one of these things  daily. not all in one day. we have abc's one day then animals the next ect.

shortstack24
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 5:36 PM

im so proud of my son he knows his abcs and can count to ten and all we did is started teaching them to him from the begining and didnt stop its a game to him

frgivn2
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 19 months. I just try to make everything educational for her. Point out things, colors, number, etc. I've been singing the abc's since she was a baby. hehe. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)