Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Kid Crafts & Activities: Share your ideas and tips here!

Posted by   + Show Post

Crafts and activities are a great way to bring fun into the lives of toddlers and preschoolers. This post is the place for us to share our craft and activity ideas! 

Here are some of the top tips from moms in the group:

1. Keep it fun and simple.

2. Draw or print things for your child to color.

2. Simple crafts can be made out of household things like paper plates, egg cartons, and cotton balls.

3. Play doh is a fun and inexpensive way to let your child express creativity.

4. Seasonal or themed crafts are a great way to help your child learn.

5. An indoor picnic, a dance party, or playing dress up are great ways to break the boredom of a rainy day.

6. Playing outside can be a blast with scavenger hunts, water play, and nature exploration.

scrapbooking

For more tips:

Please share your tips and advice here!

by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 4:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
chicmommyx3
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:38 AM

My kids and I love doing arts and crafts.  We do lots of play dough stuff.  We have a few of the big kits that come with shape makers and the ice cream shop etc.  I usually buy a couple of the big packs during Christmas time and that lasts the whole year.  I make home made play dough sometimes too, but one of their favorites is peanut butter play dough.  My youngest is now 4, so the don't eat it anymore, but when they were little it was wonderful!  You can google the recipe.  I also let them "finger paint" with plain yogurt that I had colored with food coloring or vanilla pudding.  They loved it and could eat it too.  Most of the time I would just put them in their high chair and let tehm "paint" the tray, don't even need paper.  This is a great activity when you are trying to clean the kitchen or make dinner!  Now that they are older, I just buy the craft paint (usually $1) and let them paint on printer paper.  Keeps them busy for hours!  We also have bought the clay that you shape and bake.  My 9 year old does really good with it.

Rduerksen
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Any ideas on keeping a 20 month old busy on a 3 hour flight ?  (besides snacks, colors and videos, none which last more than few minutes with her.)  Thanks!

2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 1:53 PM

You can get the stickers along with other crafty items at dollar stores also.

Quoting LilMamaK:

Me and DD LOVE painting and sticker crafts! I buy foam stickers from michael's and foam paper and we just make different scenes with them! She loves it!

2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 1:56 PM

stickers and paper, they don't take up much room. also they have lots of magnetic scenes and reuseable sticker things. check online at barnes and noble for ideas

Quoting Rduerksen:

Any ideas on keeping a 20 month old busy on a 3 hour flight ?  (besides snacks, colors and videos, none which last more than few minutes with her.)  Thanks!

kimvirden
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM

have my 3 year old daughter, my 4 year old niece, 3 year old nephew and 8month old nephew tomorrow, lo0king for crafts or indoor things i can do to keep them busy or tire them out before nap time! any suggestions?

cammy1229
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Thanks

mannatkaur
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM

my 2 yrs daughter love dancing and footbal anybody have any idea   how can i  give rght direction to her tallent

Tryshx
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 6:29 AM
1 mom liked this
One of my favorite crafts just simply starts with me sending DSS out into the yard with a grocery bag or a ziplock to collect nature. I always remind him to get a handful of dirt first. He comes back with leaves and grass flower petals and all sorts of stuff (rocks don't really work for this project though).

After the gathering phase I get him a sheet of construction paper and help him write his name in regular school glue and sprinkle it with the dirt. Then I just let him go nuts gluing the nature that he collected around it to decorate the page. (glue sticks are less messy and will work for this part, but if ask you have is the liquid kind I used to pour him some on a paper plate and let him dip the leaves and stuff to glue them)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovemybabies12
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM
I love that idea

Quoting Tryshx:

One of my favorite crafts just simply starts with me sending DSS out into the yard with a grocery bag or a ziplock to collect nature. I always remind him to get a handful of dirt first. He comes back with leaves and grass flower petals and all sorts of stuff (rocks don't really work for this project though).

After the gathering phase I get him a sheet of construction paper and help him write his name in regular school glue and sprinkle it with the dirt. Then I just let him go nuts gluing the nature that he collected around it to decorate the page. (glue sticks are less messy and will work for this part, but if ask you have is the liquid kind I used to pour him some on a paper plate and let him dip the leaves and stuff to glue them)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ann803
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:40 AM
2 moms liked this

we painted a shower curtain last week what a blast dollar store white shower curtain out side we got foot prints and hand prints my 17 year old even had a blast ... we hung it as our shower curtain what a great display of art .....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)