Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was done with Christmas shopping for my daughter a long time ago.  Since then, I have returned many things and bought new things!  I hate returning items, but I always change my mind or my daughter has changed hers.  One item I sent back to Amazon because the price had dropped $20.  I ended up not wanting that item anyway!

by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 9:10 PM
Replies (51-60):
Crazy_Daze
by on Dec. 26, 2011 at 6:33 PM

No, I rarely return anything unless it doesn't fit right (on the rare occasion I go clothes shopping with my boys in tow). I usually take a few days to think about buying something, especially online, so if I buy it I'm 100% sure I want/need it.

phyllis1949
by on Dec. 26, 2011 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Most of the crap i return IS CRAP, or it is something that SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T LISTEN HAS BOUGHT! I'd say 95% of the stuff I recuive goes right back, gets thrown out, or given away!

MikeysMom22
by on Dec. 26, 2011 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I now quite often buy people gift cards or books unless I know they are really going to like something. I also made several goodie trays as gifts this season with various quick breads, cookies, small candy canes, and Hersey kisses etc.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Dec. 26, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I kept ordering DH things, but then he'd go out and buy them himself b/c he needed them for different projects!  I had to return so many things...mostly tools and supplies.  I ended up faking car trouble and hiding hte money in a different account so he'd think we were broke!

hopealways4019
by Member on Dec. 26, 2011 at 7:21 PM
Yes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchisours
by on Dec. 26, 2011 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no problem returning anything.  I had a n AHA moment years ago when it dawned on me that keeping items I didn't like, I couldn't wear, I couldn't fit, or I didn't want made me feel bad whether I returned them or not. 

One year, I got up the nerve to tell my husband that I wanted to return every piece of clothing he bought me because I just didin't like them.  His reaction:  "Of course take them back.  Let's get you some things you love and will wear."  It was so freeing. 

The following year, I got up the nerve to ask my Mom & Dad for a receipt for something.  When they asked if something was wrong with it, I just told them it wasn't my style and although I appreciated the gift, would prefer something different.  When they asked what I had my eye on, my Dad turned to my Mom and said "I told you she'd like that better."  They were thrilled to see me a few days later in the exchanged item.  Five years later, I still wear it.

We've taught our kids that returning/exchanging is always ok.  Better to have what you want and or love than to feel guilty for not liking what you've received.

PS - Santa (my hubby) did a good job this year.  I'm not returning/exchanging anything he gave me on Christmas.

Lefthandedgal
by on Dec. 26, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I had to when my MIL told the world that I pregnant with her first Grandchild did not know that my baby was not a boy. She was convinced and even told everyone to Buy boy presents. So We had to take back all the baby clothes before we could pick her up from the hospital when she was discharged after being born. I think it is nice to send thank you cards but is is not their business if you take it back as long as it is what she wants. I personally DO not buy the big price items until Just before Christmas as My son changed his Mind daily and I was NOT taking anything back. I do not take things back and have not in years, Like 8 or more years. My MOM did and still does. It could Be a little bit of ocd. Nothing wrong with having it. In fact most or Nearly all Diagnosed are extremely smart and talented, and well gifted. So that is just my take. I would have tried to take the item back rather than lose money on it. But that is Just me.

HLGStrider
by on Dec. 26, 2011 at 7:36 PM

I don't usuallly return something I've bought. If I've made a bad decision I'd chalk it up to experience, but I'm also not a big shopper. The exception might be the once or twice a product has fallen apart on me but I generally shop clearance anyway, and most stores have a "no returns" policy on clearance items anyway. Even if I buy something for someone and then learn before giving it that they already have it (which happens a lot with my husband who tends to buy himself stuff even if he knows there is an upcoming holiday), I'm more likely to regift it. 

Things that I have been given by another (or my kid has been given) I'm more likely to return if possible, though half the time I don't know where it came from and more than half the time I don't have receipts. My sister and my husband, for instance, have repeatedly gotten me the same present, for the same holiday, normally books or dvds. I actually prefer to regift these items, though, if at all possible. Clothes that don't fit me, yeah, I'm going to return them if at all possible. 

mommagirl77
by on Dec. 26, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Quoting janeleesmom:

Yes, I return gifts

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LONEFOX
by on Dec. 26, 2011 at 7:54 PM

UNTIL THIS YEAR MY HUBBY AND I DID ALL OUR SHOPPING ON THE 23RD, AND I WRAPPPED IT ON THE 24TH.  JUST SEEMED BETTER TO DO IT LIKE THAT SO I NEVER WORRIED BOUT CHANGIN MY MIND ESPECIALLY SINCE I REALLY HATE TO SHOP

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)