Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

my 2 year old will not go to sleep at night!!

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 11:21 PM
  • 16 Replies

I'm at my wits end ladies! I need help. My 2 1/2 year old thinks he's going to miss something if he closes his eyes. I've tried everything. From year one to age 2, we tried the whole "let him cry it out" thing when going to sleep. An entire  year of changing pukey sheets almost every night was enough! He works himself up to the puking point. When he could no longer stand sleeping in his crib anymore, we converted it into a full size bed. To ease him into it, my husband or I would lay down with him. He happily will go into his bed now, but refuses to go to sleep. He still likes warm milk before bed, but as soon as he's done with that, he sings, kicks, hits, talks, plays with the blinds on the window, climbs all over one of us, rearanges his pillows, gathers his stuffed animals etc. You got the idea, he does anything to be rebellious and not lay down. I've tried nicely asking, nicely enforcing, time out, a smack on the butt (don't judge)... everything I can think of. Does anyone have any suggestions?  I know laying down in his bed wasn't the best idea, because we are probably doomed to do so for a long time now, but my other option of washing a full sized conforter, sheets, and pillows every night seemed a little less apealing! PLEASE HELP ME LADIES!!!!!

by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CAMKsMom
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 11:27 PM

My almost two year old just transitioned to a toddler bed.  It would take two hours for her to actually stay in bed.  We tried everything that you have and nothing worked until we started using the baby monitor....We'd watch for her to be doing something she shouldn't and then from the hallway we would correct her behavior.  She'd always comply because since she couldn't see us, she wasn't sure how we knew what she was up to.  Now it takes about 20 minutes to get her to sleep and it's only been a couple weeks.

Debalexxa
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 11:32 PM
I have a very tough time getting my 2 year old to sleep ..music, and I rock him Yeap 2 years old and I'm still rocking him....and he has a big boy bed twin car bed he wakes up about 4 or 5 and sleeps with me. .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
forgetmenotcj
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 11:52 PM
We have a difficult time getting my son to sleep unless we to an entire bedtime routine. Seriously, we bathe, brush teeth, read books, he picks one toy to hold but not play, then it's lights off. And if he plays, he loses the toy and sleeps alone. If we try to be lazy and skip any part of his routine we will spend 3 hours fighting him to sleep and half the time he's up til midnight. Bedtime routine is magic for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candycrz
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 11:55 PM
Connor throws a fit when going to bed. I just shut his door and he cries but then stops and I can hear him playing so I let him go and he falls asleep when he is tired
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendawn1
by Member on Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:30 AM
Do you have a routine before bed? Keep it the same. Mine is bath teeth milk/book song bed.
Now for the hard part what you need to do and it will take more then one night and pretty much exhaustion.
After the routine (make sure yu tell him the steps at every new one. Then allow him to be in his bed. You need to sit beside his bed. Every time he tries to get out put him back in and here is the hard part DON'T SAY A WORD just lay him back down. The next he gets up or what evr lay hime down and say 'its bed time now' in a calm voice. And then the next time he gets out DON'T SAY ANYTHING. Just keep repeating. He will get it at some point. It could take 20 mins or it could take the whole night for a couple of nights BUT DON'T give in or give up. Its worth it.
My dd took three days the frist night was an hour next night was 30 min and the 3rd night was 15 min. But that was just switching her from crib to toodler bed. You can do this. Also leave slowly out of his room a few feet at a time. Good luck momma :) hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momoftwins_2
by on Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:51 AM
In my experience a 2,yr old is not ready for a full size bed ..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deadlights86
by Member on Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:59 AM
My ds has the same issue. I stopped the crying it out thing once he was up till 7:30 in the morning at that point the grocery store was open so we packed up and i went and got benadrly just so i could go to sleep. Now if he goes to sleep before midnight he will get up at 2 am and stay up the rest of the night. He's actually due to be seen at the sleep clinic at our childrens hospital.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caitlynevansmom
by on Dec. 29, 2011 at 7:45 AM
Is he still napping? It sounds like he is not going to bed sleepy but going to bed after a second wind. If he is not napping he needs 12 or more hours of uninterrupted sleep a night. So, he needs to be asleep by 7:00pm if you want him up at 7:00am. That means he needs to do his bedtime routine between 6:00 and 6:30. My kids went through a nightmare of a bedtime one summer because we were putting them to bed too late. We moved their bedtime up an hour and that helped a lot. With your son I would watch for the signs of tiredness; yawning, sitting and staring, dozing off while watching tv, lying down while playing. As soon as you see the signs get him up to bed for bedtime routine. Try sitting by bed in a chair instead of lying down with him. Then every 3 nights move the chair further away from the bed until you are sitting outside the room. Don't do Benedryl to get him to sleep. Very, very bad idea! If he has a serious sleep condition you need to talk to your doctor. My son has had sleep issues since day 1. He's almost 4 and the doc gave me permission just a few months ago to give him melatonin. My son will not go to sleep. He doesn't want to close his eyes either. I'm not sure if it's stubbornness or a disorder. Check out The Sleep Lady. Just google her name. She has good ideas.
CabinMommyNH
by on Dec. 29, 2011 at 7:55 AM
Routine, routine, routine! For my son it's dinner, playtime, bath, teeth, several books and bed. We rarely waver from this. He knows what the expectations are and, sure, sometimes he fights it but usually we have few issues. When he was younger we had to put a hotel chain lock on the outside of his door because he kept sneeking out in the middle of the night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Abee2202
by on Dec. 29, 2011 at 8:00 AM
Our routine is Complex and long and it starts after dinner but it sure works. My 25mo old has been in a twin bed since 15mo and she does just fine. If we waiver from the routine she sure let's us know. So I'd say get together a routine that works and stick to it. Twice I've made the mistake of laying down with her until she falls asleep and she never falls asleep. So I find that leaving works. She's usually asleep within fifteen minutes now and sleeps 11-12h straight thru.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)