Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Nap Time: Share your best tips here!

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this

This post is the place for us share advice and experiences on how to deal with our toddlers and preschoolers at nap time.

Here are some of the top tips from moms in the group:

1.       Keep your child on a consistent schedule.

2.       Be patient! It might take your child longer to wind down when they get a little older.

3.       If your child skips their nap, put them to bed earlier that night.

4.       Make nap time fun. Read a story or sing a song that has them closing their eyes.  

5.       If they will no longer nap, give them quiet time instead. Let them relax in their room or on the couch.

do not disturb

For more tips:  

Please share your tips, advice, and experiences here!

by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NikkiLoy000
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Napping?

tbarnes895
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Recently, since we did away with naps a couple months ago, after lunch we go into my room together lay in bed and watch the original scooby doos together. Sometimes we do the same before his bed time however he has never slept in bed with us its always a little scooby then off to his bed and he never fusses about it. What works with some doesn't always work with others but its our relaxing time together and I enjoy it as much as he does, but I did enjoy the days when he took naps it was mommy time but I still try to squeeze some me time in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM

My dd has started napping again (sometimes) thanks to the sheer exhaustion of 3 hours of pre-k ;)

Getting them nice and tired with sufficient time to wind down is key.

bhwrn1
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM

What's a nap? LOL! JK.

My oldest napped until he was almost 5. Middle still naps at pre-school (he's 5 1/2). My LO (almost 3) naps at school but not at home. All three will nap in the car if we go in the afternoon for a longer drive.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM

My oldest still naps (5 1/2) most days.  It definitely takes longer but since my DD is already down, I just take a nap too!  I definitely 2nd the "be patient" bullet!  My DD (3 at the end of July) is a champ and still naps 3-4 hours a day. 

bhwrn1
by on May. 10, 2012 at 5:48 AM

I use a sleep machine for white noise.

bhwrn1
by on May. 10, 2012 at 5:48 AM

Just like bed time, napping requires a consistent routine

BarbadianBeauty
by on May. 10, 2012 at 7:08 AM
We watch golden girls around noon then she takes her nap xD and before bed we watch one episode of either I Dream of Jeannie or Bewitched :) I got the box sets for my birthday :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gweneveer
by on May. 10, 2012 at 8:48 AM

great tips!

corrinacs
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:13 AM

The biggest thing I can say is know thier schedule.  Let them have a few days to get thier schedule down on thier own.  This is especially helpful for the little guys (the ones near or at a yaer old).  They will usualyl set thier own schedules and just keep that in mind.  So, you don't end up being out and about during nap/food times :).

And consistent.  Get a routine nad stick to it.  Also, DO NOT even once do somethign ot lure them into bed....like "I will give you a cookie if you go to bed"....then they will want a cookie EVERY TIME LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN