Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ear infection question.....

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:06 AM
  • 14 Replies

My daughter has had 3 colds back to back in the past 2 months. She also had an ear infection in November and another one last month. The Dr. prescribed Amoxicillin both times. Now she has the 3rd cold and seems like she either has another ear infection or might even be the same one. Has anyone else had this problem? Does it sound like 3 seperate infections or the same one? Maybe she needs a stronger antibiotic? Any advice??

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:08 AM
Could be either...or she could have fluid back there and need tubes. I would ask to see an ent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hottmommi42
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:23 AM
My dd had either the same one or recurrent ones for over a year. Poor girl. We finally got it cleared up with a nasty round of antibiotics that made the poor girl vomit everything, then had tubes put in. Ask for a different antibiotic cuz the one she's on is probably not right for the bacteria, and if it doesn't clear up in a week ask to see an ent. Just, don't go a year... Cuz I still feel like a bad mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tel4him
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I think it's a little early to go to the ENT. If she does have another ear infection at this point, I would ask the ped for a different antibiotic.  The amoxicillan may just not be taking care of it.

MNWildGirl
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Yup, ent for sure
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobynS
by Robyn on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I agree, she should prob be seen by an ENT. If you want to try to avoid pumping so many antibiotics into her, you can get Garlic Willow Ear Oil. You warm it and put it in the ear. I have used it on myself and the kids and it works!! And it's natural. Yay!

Good luck! Sorry your little one is having such a tough time.

mariesmama
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM

tell the dr its not going away and tell him youd like a longer courser of meds my 2 yr old got tubes last monthand shes ffinally talking more

.Angelica.
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I haven't had to deal with ear infections yet. I'd ask her doctor. Hope she feels better soon :(

Kat940
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM
My dd had an ear infection that just wouldn't go away so we had tubes put in and now she has had 2 ear infections in a month. So we are going to see an allergist. Good luck. I would ask for something stronger. Oh and some ear infections are viral so antibiotics won't help those.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexasKaty
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:34 AM
This...

Quoting tel4him:

I think it's a little early to go to the ENT. If she does have another ear infection at this point, I would ask the ped for a different antibiotic.  The amoxicillan may just not be taking care of it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CabinMommyNH
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Ask for a different antibiotic, amoxicillin might just be the wrong one. Or it could be viral rather than bacterial which wouldnt be treated by antibiotics.

Try mixing three parts olive oil to one part vinegar and put a few drops in the ear canal. It should help soothe the pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)