Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"no-no"

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM
  • 9 Replies
My oldest DS is 2. He has started mouthing off to me by saying "no-no" with the finger shake. Its kinda funny. But I'm just curious what you ladies would do to nip this in the rear. Is it better to get after him (although he seems to do it for the attention) or just ignore it in the hope that it will go away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
TexasKaty
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
We got it to stop by not ever saying "no" ourselves.. We just used other words / redirected
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crissydancer05
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM
well this is of no help now is it?

Quoting TexasKaty:

We got it to stop by not ever saying "no" ourselves.. We just used other words / redirected

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Abee2202
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Actually, it IS helpful advice. We did it when our daughter was just learning to talk and she would say no to everything. We stopped saying no and she stopped using it negatively.

Quoting crissydancer05:

Quoting TexasKaty:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I never said no to my son unless he asked a question such as "do you like that food mommy?"  If he was doing something wrong I never said no, instead I used a really annoying "eh-eh" which he knew meant don't touch or don't do that...and to this day he knows that's what that means. If he doesn't want something he must say no thank you. It helped us with the fact that now he knows no isn't negative, just means you would rather not.  Maybe try telling him that you don't say no unless you don't want something and make him say it nicely... time outs are what my son gets for back talk...maybe try to make a game out of it... give him so many toys and everytime he says no take one away and when he says it nicely without being asked give one back. I'm not sure how your son learns so it's diffucult to be the best of help. My son is also 2

.Angelica.
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I agree. When he stops hearing it, and doesn't get attention for doing it, he will stop.

Quoting Abee2202:

Actually, it IS helpful advice. We did it when our daughter was just learning to talk and she would say no to everything. We stopped saying no and she stopped using it negatively.

Quoting crissydancer05:

Quoting TexasKaty:

Ellmomr
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM
I tried different things for no, but she still likes no. Well actually she uses nope. I mostly ignore it and try not to make a big deal of it. I figure it is kind of a good thing as she is learning independence and what she wants and doesn't want.
However, if she's saying no to something she has no say in, like getting dressed, changing a dirty diaper, etc. I simply tell her I'm sorry you feel that way, but we need to do this and explain why. If she cries or complains, well that's just too bad, I figure she'll get over it. Hope that somewhat helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mariesmama
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:59 AM

i told mine to get out of her toybox today her response no,but she did it

mypbandj
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM
It's pretty normal for a child to want to assert their independence. Try not to take it personally or as a form of misbehavior. It's just typical for the age. You can chose to ignore it. Without an audience it's no fun to perform. My ds says NO to us too. I don't take it personally or get upset over it. In fact, I encourage it! I tell him all the time, say NO! Just as often as I ask him to say any other word. His NO has no power. He can say it but it's not going to make me all crazy and upset. We aren't going to have a power struggle over it. Another trick for this age is to give them lots of choices - even about things that don't matter of what you were going to do anyway. (just don't offer it as a choice if it isn't a choice: like don't say Do you want to go to the store? When you know you are going regardless. You could say, Do you want to go to the store now or in 5 minutes? Choices give kids a sense of control, which they are craving at this age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supermommyof423
by Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:00 PM
My daughter just started saying yes or no when u ask her something. There have been times that she has thrown a fit cuz I told her no and if this includes her hitting somebody I spank her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)