Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i need help with my 2yr old---is my daughter delayed?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM
  • 10 Replies
Hello, I'm a mother of a beautiful and healthy 2 yr old. My daughter turned 2 in August of 2011 and so far does not speak clear sentences. She is able to say mom juice or milk but not a full sentence. By the way she is in a bilingual(English/Spanish) household plus also exposed to Portuguese because I'm learning it. She knows alot of words but not sentences, she can count and read numbers from 1-10 , she can also read letters from the alphabet,also some words in Spanish and totally understands when you speak either language to her. I can't help but think there's something wrong,most 2 yr olds I know are talking. I do teach her at least 3 times a week her alphabet and numbers. Is my daughter delayed in her speech?
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CJsMommy622
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Sounds normal to me. Sounds like she's able to verbally communicate what she wants with some sort of words so that's a good sign. Plus she's hearing several different languages. I wouldn't worry too much :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM

My oldest son had a speach delay and hardly talked at that age. My middle child at that age wasn't doing sentences or anything, she knew probably 50 words or so. My youngest turned two in october and can do full sentences sometimes and can count some, ect and is way more advanced than my other two were. Part of it could be that she is learning so much at once, the fact that she can understand you is great, just keep working with her.

Mipsy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM
She's completely normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
So_Devious20
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:51 AM
This is normal for children who only speak one language, all kids are different. For bilingual kids, some don't speak sentences for longer. Nothing to worry about. She's communicating with words and pointing at things and such and such.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexasKaty
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Sounds pretty normal :) I don't know many two year olds that can speak clear sentences. Especially since she is a girl, I do agree that she should be trying to put a few words together (rather than just saying "mom," "juice," or "milk"), but she if can count/read numbers and knows her letters (which is ADVANCED), I wouldn't worry about a thing! Just keep working with her... It never hurts to ask her pediatrician if you feel like there is something wrong, but my guess is that she's just fine. :)

mypbandj
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:33 PM
By 24 months you want them combining at least 2 words together like daddy work or more juice or my ball.

Kids who are learning 2 languages will appear delayed but that's b/c they are taking in 2x the info. They appear take longer but if you count everything they know, it's about the same.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM

A  child who is learning more than one language will often have a slightly temporary different trajectory when it comes to expressive speech.

If you are at all concerned, you can always get a free Early Intervention assessment, but based on what you are saying, I am not overly concerned - especially in light of the fact taht seh is learning two languages.

mariesmama
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:43 PM

no actually shes not behind her little mind cannot decide between the 2 languages she'll be slower,but learn both fluently

zolanmel
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM
She doesn't sound delayed to me. She sounds fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM

She doesn't sound delayed. Each child is different though. My son started to talk earlier but I know some of my friend said their children were well on being 2 before they started to talk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)