Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

timeout isn't working anymore

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:47 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hey guys

I have a 4 year old with a lot of attitude-she is a handful sometimes. As much as I love her and wish it was different, she acts out a lot. Lately timeout isn't working anymore. she is more than happy to sit in the corner for 4 minutes with a bad attitude. I am looking for some other ideas that may get through to her. any ideas?

thanks

Lexi

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
busymom64064
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Sorry mama. My 2 1/2 year old son has kind of but not really hit that state yet. 

I am curious to see what kind of replies you get so that maybe i can use those as a reference when my time comes.

Have you tried taking away toys? a sticker behavior chart?

mypbandj
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:56 AM
What's an example of something you put her in timeout for?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marscella
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:50 AM
My ds is 4 will b 5 in 2 weeks. Regular time outs quit working long ago for him. We switched to standing in the corner with his nose on the corner~ h HATED IT and still does but it works bcuz we don't have to go to the corner very often anymore. Of he's having a really OFF day and just being defiant, he skips the wall an Goes straight to his room with no tv and can not come out til I tell him ~HATES IT. it works for us maybe try this good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tel4him
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:00 AM

You have to find what her "currency" is.  What does she really love that she doesn't want taken away.  It could be a toy, TV time, dessert after dinner, whatever.  Find that and you have your answer.  My DD went through a phase like that and I found that she hated not being a 'big girl'.  When she would start acting up like that, I told her since she was acting like a baby, I had to treat her like one and I would make her stay with me not get any privileges.  It worked.

ScrChk23
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2012 at 7:19 AM
I need some help with this too. Timeouts and talking do not seem to work with my 4.5 son.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)