Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am the proud mom to that screaming kid in Walmart! Help!!!

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM
  • 275 Replies
5 moms liked this

I'm a single mom of a 2 1/2 year old son.....He has been throwing fits to the point he will hit his head on anything that's hard and handy. I've talked to his doctor and all he will tell me is that he will grow out of it once he learns to use his words to tell you what he's feeling. Well, I can't wait and I don't think that's the problem. I'm not sure what the problem is. He was awesome as a baby but when he hit about 1 1/2...everything went crazy... He is now that screaming kid in Walmart. He screams if he doesn't get to watch his movies on every tv in the house. Or if I take something away from him. He will slap or punch me in the face, kicks the dogs or tries to run them over with toy trucks.  I don't know where to turn anymore and not sure how to handle this. Time out doesn't bother him either.

Any advice will help!

Thank you so much!

Ashley

by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 11:29 PM
69 moms liked this
I scream in wal mart, too, but enough about me.
3HappylKidds
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Its a phase.. My son is 3 (youngest) he is just getting over it.. My other two kids all went through it... :( its so stressful and hard i hope he gets over it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelsie.Davison
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 11:33 PM
3 moms liked this
Your dr is right. I hate to say it. My kids have all gone threw this. It gets worse at 3 and calms down around 4. I used to hate hearing this because I too was like you and insisted it was something else but now 7 kids later I know how thing tend to go. :/ hope things get better soon momma.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashley_n_enid
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 11:43 PM
3 moms liked this

I wish there was a way to fix what he's doing. My mom decided to tell me that "I already lost control of him at age 2"  I'm not sure how much more of this I can take before I pull a "Brittney" (go crazy and shave my head) lol

SexyMamaAz
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Yep my son was the same way he's 3 now its not that bad now jus around his sleepy time will he throw fits bit I will say they do outgrow it hang in there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hottmommi42
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM
2 moms liked this
Roflmao! Me too!

Quoting hollydaze1974:

I scream in wal mart, too, but enough about me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceemuhreeashbee
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 4:45 PM
16 moms liked this
Ignores the fits. Seriously. DD used to throw fits like that and we would carry on our conversation and let her go at it. I refused to give her any kind of attention during them, they didn't last long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
masastan
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 5:00 PM
12 moms liked this

Honey, he sounds like a normal toddler and if he is meeting all of his developmental milestones with no concerns, he will grow out of it. All I can offer you in the way of advice at this time is to listen to him and make him feel validated, even a 1 year old knows when they are being "heard". Once you know what it is he trying to tell you, associate that feeling or object with the word and an action where appropriate to help him learn how to communicate with you. As a mother and a childcare professional/teacher, I HATE time out! I am more of the 'let the punishment fit the crime" and redirection person; for example, when my dd is getting into the trash, she has to help clean it up, wash her hands, and then I move her on to something else AWAY from the trash. When I run into children who throw tantrums like this, I make sure they are in a safe place (away from a wall or other object that could hurt them) and let them throw their tantrum - I tell them, that I love them and when they are done with their tantrum, they can come back and talk to me, then walk away. In the store, just ignore them....if you keep talking to them, pleading with them, making empty threats...it only fuels the fire. Good luck hon!

aidyns_mommy
by Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know my son never threw fits but he was also talking clearly before 2 so that could be why. Gl mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 5:08 PM
5 moms liked this
If you are concerned about his behavior or speech, you can take him to early intervention in your area. They will provide screening and any therapies if needed until age three.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)