• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 year old hitting himself when frustrated or having to transition from 1 activity to another

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:15 AM
  • 6 Replies

My 3 year old son is a very intense child, always has been. He is very bright and focused but has a difficult time seeing anything beyond that. He gets easily frustrated and when he does he will hit himself repeatedly. I am trying to teach him tools to help him calm himself down but am really struggling and starting to get frustarted myself and feeling so helpless. I made an appoinment with pediatrician to brainstorm other intervwntions that might be effective. He is the middle child, older sister is 6 and needs o be center of attention and younger brother is 2 and adores my 3 year old but doesn't respect his space at all. I am also currently separated from my husband who is an alcoholic....no history of abuse with kids just lak of his presence last year as he is sought treatment and sobriety. I worked as a child therapist and am not seeing signs of aspergers, ADHD etc but do see low frustration tolerance low ability to adapt and change gears....Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just want o help him and it breaks my heart seeing him hurt himself.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Susanmomof
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:20 AM
What one you said has to be the center of attention him or your daughter?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:21 AM
Ask for an evaluation with your local school district. You may be able to get therapies and interventions through their preschool program. Preschool can be a great place to learn transition skills. My dd has autism and she learned great transition skills in our school district preschool. Best wishes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2bagain421
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM
I'm having similar issues my dd who is also 3 hits herself whEn frustrated she is the oldest and just became a big sister 3 weeks ago but this behavior has been going on for almost a year but here this past weekend she woke up screaming and crying we asked her what was wrong and she said that her teddy got lost and she couldn't find him this teddy she has been attached to since she was born so this was a big deal for her she found him before she had come to us buT she was so freaked she was shaking uncontrollably and got to the point she was throwing up hours later she was a little better so we took her to chuckie cheese to keep her mind off the morning all had been ok she wasn't actin normal but she was in a good mood so she got in the tubes at cc's to play a bit I was watching her climb up there when she froze in place and started crying uncontrollably I couldn't reach her very well but I got her to grab my hand and palms was sweaty and I knew she was having a nervous breakdown or panic attack so I climbed up to get her she has not been completely normal since I need to know what to and how to manage this behavior her dad and I are happily married no problems or fighting so I don't understand if anyone has any positive reenforcement it Would be greatly appreciated please help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM
I agree. Get an evaluation and go from there. My 3 year old son just had one (sounds similar to your child) and was diagnosed with autism. We are now working on getting him into therapy.

Quoting RochelleFS:

Ask for an evaluation with your local school district. You may be able to get therapies and interventions through their preschool program. Preschool can be a great place to learn transition skills. My dd has autism and she learned great transition skills in our school district preschool. Best wishes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gratefulmamma
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM

my daughter usually needs a lot of attention- not much of an independent spirit- but adores her little brothers and plays with them and includes them amazingly.

gratefulmamma
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM

just curious- i worked as a therapist with children- BUT could miss something with my own easily and i do not want to have my head in the sand....i don't see my son having any other tell tale signs of autism- what did you all say thet lead to your final decision for an eval and the eventual diagnosis. i am speaking to pediatrician next week and will also see what she says. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............

thanks....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)