Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PediaSure: do you give it to your kids, is it really all that healthy?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM
  • 23 Replies

I'm contemplating giving my picky eater 3 year old PediaSure. He is the type that will choose to go to bed hungry then eat what I put on the table. I am totally against making him his own dinner when I have perfectly good food on the table. Although he eats very well for breakfast and lunch (whole grain cereals/pastas/breads, great fruit eater) He is not a big meat or veggie eater, I feel like I have tried every trick in the book (hiding veggies in other stuff, not allowing any other food till he takes one bite, etc) I'm really conserned that he isn't getting everything he needs. He does take gummy vitamins and his DR said that as long as he is drinking milk then he should be ok. But recently he has been on an anti-milk streak - which I'm sure will pass.

I'm not a big fan of feeding my kids things that I can't pronounce, so when I read the back of a pediasure bottle I'm not sure if all those mono - blah blah and potassium this and phoshate that are really all that healthy. I know that some of them are fancy names for vitamins and minerals.

Do you give your kids PediaSure?

How do you get them to eat a well balanced diet?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ajohnson2334
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Wow I did NOT spell a few things right!! Sorry!

trish2tew
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:28 PM
My kids don't get it and never will. They don't eat a 100% balanced diet by any means, but as long as they eat veggies/fruit at least 2x a day and some proteins and grains I don't worry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vicky88
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM
yes i do. I believe it is healthy. My so's cousin has a son with downsyndrome and when was about a year old they told her she needed to give him pediasure because he was not able to use his jaw correctly to chew on food. So they told her that was the best for him. I give it to my daughter because she too is a picky eater.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Yes I might give it depending on the circumstances but if your child is just picky then no I would exercise other aves first because once you give it and their old enough to understand it I have seen kids say they don't have to eat right or well because they can just drink it.  IMO it should be a last resort.

Kat940
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:47 PM
I gave my son pediasure and it improved his appetite! If he is on target for his weight and you just want the extra vitamins. Pediasure also has a version that has the same calories as a glass of milk. I think it's called kid essentials. You might also look for pediasmart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommiie2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:49 PM

i do !!!! for them it taste yummy and for me i know they are getting all the extra vitamins and minerals they need. I see it as not only are they getting the healthy foods they need from my cooking but also extra vitamins and minerals from pediasure cant hurt.

tnmommy5
I asked my pedi about it when my ds wasn't eating well and not gaining weight. He told me that was the last thing he would do because it actually fills them up and they eat less. So I held off and he started eating better on his own. He still doesn't always eat but he is gaining weight and healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danie24
I would never feed my kid that garbage. No offense, lol

You're better off buying a juicer and making tons of delicious juices and popcicles with fresh fruits and veggies.

Or use a blender to make healthy smoothies and slushes, made with fresh, healthy fruits, veggies, berries, nut butters, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Razelda

We don't give Pediasure. Our pedi had us use about 1/4 of a packet of Carnation Instant Breakfast in a cup of milk instead once a day. So when DD is having a picky day, she gets that.

YzmaRocks
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:51 PM
No, I do not believe it is healthy. The vitamins are harder for the body to digest because they are added in and not natuallu occurring. Not to mention the sugar and artificial flavoring!

One option is making your own. That way it is fresh, you know exactly what is in it and it is healthier and easier for the body to digest.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)