• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spanking, time out or both

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:38 PM
  • 21 Replies

Poll

Question: How do your punish your toddler?

Options:

Spanking

Time Out

Both

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 45

View Results

How do you punish your toddler?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1st_time_mom789
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I don't believe in hitting children, but I guess that's because I was hit when I was younger. I will put DD in time out for 1 minute. Talk to her at her level and explain to her why I put her there. She usually gives me a hug and kiss and I tell her I love her.

Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM
We use an array of non-violent methods. We do not use corporal punishment.

Interesting article out today about yet another study linking spanking with lower IQ. Of course, we made the decision not to hit years ago...
1st_time_mom789
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I read about that too. It was actually quite interesting.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

We use an array of non-violent methods. We do not use corporal punishment.

Interesting article out today about yet another study linking spanking with lower IQ. Of course, we made the decision not to hit years ago...

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:50 AM

spank for me is a pop on the hand though but usually she will get timeout first or i give her the choice of pop on the hand or time out and she actually usually chooses the pop on the hand (it isnt really hard just to make a point that what she did was wrong).

rnmom4lif
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:55 AM

i use time outs. im not big on hitting but i have swatted my sons hand when hes done something i really needed to discourage like playing with an outlet or reaching for the stove. but only when i feel like i REALLY need to make a point.

Abee2202
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 3:18 AM
No hitting in our house. We use timeouts. Actually I count to three. She usually let's me get to three then she gets option to go to time out or let me brush her teeth (usually that's the battle everyday twice a day) she always picks brush her teeth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Neither. I take away toys. To my son that is the worst possible punishment he could have.

TexasKaty
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Mostly time out. Very rare spanking. Hubby usually does it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
our3
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on why they are in trouble, how many times they've already been corrected, and how bad overall their being that day.

momoftwins_2
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Both, but really trying hard not to spank. I know it doesnt do anything, or teach anything positive, but most of the time we use positive reinforcement punishment

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)