Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

banning junk food on food stamps debate

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:37 PM
  • 27 Replies
Ok so I heard on the news there trying to pass a law about banning junk food on food stamps....trying too see what everyone thinks....about this topic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amandarene25
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Ok I'm for people that need assistance but come on there's way too many that abuse it. I have been in Walmart were a man is trying to pay for someone's grocerys on their card too get cash....ugh really wonder if their buying drugs ect...makes me mad when I see young mothers or fathers buying steaks...lobster fine dining meals with junk with food stamps...just like I know someone that is a mother hasn't had a job since over a year ago and not trying to get one and her baby will be 1 soon just relieing on assistance of handouts cuz she can get it ....just kinda makes me sick...I work hard for my money but still struggle to make ends meat for my family.its just I hate that its the ones that need it get denied and ones that don't get the assistance makes no sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmgriffberg
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM

i just am wondering how they are going to define "junk food" some of those pre-packaged dinners, burritos, etc are worse for you than chips.

amandarene25
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Yea I know but there saying donuts.candy soda chips jello ect..I mean I'm glade people are getting help and have nothing against it but there's a lot of people that abuse it that's all and not trying too make anyone mad but saw this in the news.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MarShy740
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Maybe limiting how much they can get I don't get assistance and I just read an article that in one state there were many people living in nice homes both parents have jobs and nice jobs were cheating the system..But anyways I think maybe limiting it I personally only let my son have a little junk now and then but if they are thinking about taking it off then way too many people are abusing it sorry if sounds confusing in mobile
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Depends on what they consider junk food. Some people might think Mac and cheese is junk food. I think limiting it might be best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megberkheimer
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Limiting some foods and not others will just open up a whollleee can of worms. Plus the software update needed will cost way too much for any states to pass. 

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Personally I think it should be banned because they should spend it on more wholesome foods although of course the junk food is always cheapest.  Another problem is sometimes people dont like the taste of whole wheat or low fat, etc.

TTC2Long
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:19 AM
1 mom liked this
In principle, I believe junk food should not be allowed. BUT as someone who used to work in south central LA, I can tell you that many poor neighborhoods just don't have good food-shopping options. Big chain supermarkets won't open stores there because of the high crime rates, so what you have are mom n pop liquor stores and the occasional carniceria or vallarta. You have to get in your car, assuming you have one, and drive to get to a decent grocery store. Many of these people are dealing with health issues, too many kids, no one to watch their kids while they take 3 busses to get to the store... It's not so cut and dry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michelle1995
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm all for it.  Its a struggle for us to buy groceries.  It offends me when I go to the check-out with bare necessities and coupons after comparing ads, but yet other people have full buggies of items I can't afford and then use food stamps.  I don't buy snack foods because of the costs.  The only thing I ever buy from the deli bakery is birthday cakes (thats a treat my kids will have).  I can't buy fresh seafood and I buy the cheapest meat when its on sale.  I know someone who works at a store who says a family of four can get $800 for food stamps, plus WIC.  I've love to have $500 for everything.  WIC should only be for families who don't qualify for food stamps, but need help with the expenses of a new baby.  I think that the list of items allowed under food stamps should change.  No deli bakery.  No fresh seafood.  No snacks.  I'd rather pay for them to get toilet paper.  That's a necessity.  A $4 bag of doritos is not.  I'd like to buy a bag too, but I don't because I need to spend that $4 on a gallon of milk more.

amandarene25
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Amen....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)