Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 2 yr old HATES milk!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:02 AM
  • 9 Replies

My two year old hates milk!  Considering its a staple in your child's diet, I don't know what to do.  The only way I could get him to drink it was when he was younger, and I had to warm it up in a bottle.  Well, that gets embaressing when they get to a certain age.  I've tried everything to flavored milks, apple juice with calcium, etc..  So every morning I make him oatmeal with a lot of milk in it and that's all he'll get all day long:(  He used to love yogurt..not anymore.  VERY PICKY EATER. I'm almost desperate to use a bottle again that he hasn't seen in forever!  But its like trading out problems. 

He's in the 84% in height and weight, healthy, and active.  But it can't be that great for you to not get your calcium. I do give him vitamins for infants lacking in calcium.

Ideas on ways to sneak it in certain things for morning, lunch, and dinner?????  I also use Kraft mac n cheese singles and use milk only too.  But desperate for new ideas:) 

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Abee2202
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Broccoli, kale, almonds, tahini (it's in hummus), Rice pudding, Ice cream, salmon, figs, Oranges, pizza.
If you look up calcium Rich foods on google you can find more food choices
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matofour
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Milk is really not needed
Feed him other calcium rich foods.
We rarely drink milk, no need we aren't baby cows. There a millions of ways to get calcium, and get your vit d by the sun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lyssa1025
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried Soy milk or Coconut Milk? 

foistela
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:24 AM
2 moms liked this

First, here is a list of how much calcium kids need...

The National Academy of Sciences recommends:
  • 500 mg a day for kids who are 1 to 3 years old
  • 800 mg a day for kids who are 4 to 8 years old
  • 1,300 mg a day for kids who are 9 to 18 years old 

Here are some calcium-rich and calcium fortified foods...
  • A grilled cheese sandwich made with Iron Kids bread (2 slices) and a slice of American cheese, can provide almost a whole days worth of calcium or 750mg (200mg + 350mg + 200mg).
  •  Milkshakes
  • Salmon
  • Tofu
  • Rhubarb
  • Sardines
  • Collard greens
  • Spinach
  • Turnip greens
  • Okra
  • White beans
  • Baked beans
  • Broccoli
  • Peas
  • Brussel sprouts
  • Sesame seeds
  • Bok choy
  • Almonds
  • Calcium-fortified breakfast cereals: General Mills Whole Grain Total, Total Raisin Bran, Total Cranberry Crunch, and Total Honey Clusters, all of which have 100% DV of calcium per serving.
  • Calcium-fortified orange juice
  • Calcium-fortified soy milk
  • SunnyD with Calcium (most SunnyD products don't have calcium, so look for the one that does if your child needs extra calcium in his diet)
  • Instant oatmeal
  • Calcium-fortified bread or English muffins
  • Calcium-fortified drink mixes such as Pediasure or Carnation Instant Breakfast
  • Other calcium-fortified breakfast cereals, including General Mills Golden Grahams (350 mg)

KayDziedzic
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Up to 78% of the human population has an allergy or sensativity to cows' milk. Dairy is not a dietary staple, unless you're a baby cow.

So it's ok that your LO doesn't like milk, and you don't have to sneak it in other foods : ) I agree with PPs. There are so many other healthy sources of calcium, vitamin D, protein, and healthy fats, that milk isn't necessary. Statistics indicate that Too much calcium over time can actually increase the risk of osteoperosis later in life despite increasing bone density, so aim to keep his calcium intake around the recommended daily amounts.

r_brooks86
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM
My DD hates milk also so her doctor just said subsitute it cheese and yogurts. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zolanmel
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Try something else. Calcium fortified oj.

Milk is not needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danie24
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Milk is actually terrible for human health.. unless it's human milk :)

Cow milk contains tons of hormones, pesticides, feces, pus, etc. Humans are also not meant to consume animal fluids. They cause tons of health problems. Most of us are just uninformed.

He'll be just fine (better) without cow milk in his diet :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Hey,

If he's healthy, who cares.  I mean that in a good way :).  He sounds like he's doing well without it.  I would give him calcium supplements to fill those gaps, but he's good on weight :) :).

I wouldn't worry about it.  As long as he eats a balanced meal with other foods....then its no biggie :) :).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)