Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Ive got a problem with my toddler n her carseat

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM
  • 11 Replies
Ok here's my problem. We've got a 2 yr old who's in a five point harness system carseat. Now our problem seems to be getting her to keep the chest clip locked togther. She either unbuckles it or shoved it down and takes her arms out. She hasn't unbuckled the bottom buckle yet. I'm afraid were goin to be in an accident and she's going to get hurt. My question is how can we keep her from doin this? How do you guys keep ur child from unclipping the chest clip and or taking their arms out of the straps? PLEASE help us!!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VioletPlacebo
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:46 PM

My almost 5 year old has never done this and I can't think of any advice, but here's a bump!

stacie0375
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Every time you see her do it, pull over, put her arms back in, put the clip back together and tell her no, leave it on. After so many times she will get the idea that she needs to wear it.

tnmommy5
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenB36
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM

My DD used to do that, basically I would have to pull the car over everytime and have a talk with her, telling her everyone has to wear their buckles and show her mine, a few times I resorted to taking her out of her seat and swating her behind.  Evenutally I just ignored it and she stopped doing it.

When she was in my moms car my mom would un buckle her own seat belt so the alarm would go off and tell DD that everytime she did that the alarm would go off and it seamed to work for her. She also told DD that we dont do that in mema's car or she wont be riding with mema anymore. My DD listens to her mema way better than she does to me- it kinda sucks.

hottmommi42
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Aw! I would say just turn the clip around,but if she's shoving it down that's hard too! There is this strap thing that you can use, I have no idea where to get them, but call your firestation they should know. Scary!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Are the straps tight enough? you should not be able to pinch the straps. My son has always left the clip alone aside from pushing it down  couple times. I would stop the car everytime you see her do it and fix the straps. hope she stops soon.

nf1
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:14 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
phdesertbunny
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:18 PM
I told my son if he doesnt hell get hurt during a crash. He understands and leaves it on. And look scary when u tell her.... she should be a little scared and only cuz its a safety issue
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomofNikki2010
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:19 PM
Ask the Car Seat Safety group!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
homewithfamily
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Neither one of my kids messed with the clip and always left the straps on. My nieces on the other hand always took their arms out. When they did that with me I would pull the car over and tell them that we go no where until they put their seat belt back on and leave it on. If they did not leave it then we were not going to the park, zoo, science center or whatever activity we were doing. After a couple of times missing out on having fun they relized that I meant business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)