Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler Hit By Falling Television Should Wake Us All Up

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM
  • 13 Replies

I saw this in The Stir - How toddler proof is your house?

Toddler Hit By Falling Television Should Wake Us All Up

Posted by April Peveteaux on February 12, 2012

toddler tv danger

A simple headline in the Chicago Tribune that described a toddler's condition as "serious" instead of "critical" stopped me in my tracks. A two-year-old girl was seriously injured after a 29-inch television fell on top of her. While you might stop and say, "Who lets a toddler play with a television?" it's really not that simple.

After all, big screens attract toddlers like flies to honey. I can't count how many times I've told my own toddler to stop touching the screen. And as a parenting writer, one who has researched child-proofing about 15 too many times, I was shocked to realize my own television was nowhere near bolted to the wall. In fact, we've got quite a few things that could topple down on an unsuspecting, but incredibly curious little person. And you probably do too.

We did a quick check in our house for toddler dangers and this is what we found.

While our television is set back and highly unlikely to fall on a toddler, or anyone, we do live in California. Hello, earthquake. So that's one huge mistake. More frightening, we have a very tall dresser (about five feet) and an even taller armoire in our bedroom that is not braced. Our kids love to play in our room, and no, we're not always in there with them. Did I mention we live where earthquakes happen? And finally, while the dresser in their bedroom is deep into a crevice, that doesn't mean it's any less tempting to climb. Third major fail.

Basically, we have two things in our entire home that are bolted to the wall, and we'd better get our act together quickly. Which I just said to my husband, while giving him the stink eye. He's getting the tools out tomorrow.

What does your home inventory show you about toddler safety?

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
foistela
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:06 AM

We need to do this!

zolanmel
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Hope the childs okay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM

OMG! I have always been paranoid about things like this happening!  

Bmama1
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:30 AM
This is scary! We should do more child proofing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tree-Tree
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM
I flipped the tv on myself when i was younger
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I know, it does make me scared!  Our house is not as baby proofed as it could be ;?.  Unfortunately, there's no place to bolt the TV down either because of the way our house is situated.  We would be choosing one thing to make something else even more unsafe :/

.Angelica.
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM

hope the child is okay :(

awiley2012
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:26 PM

My home is not nearly as toddler proofed as it should be :(.  When he was a baby, I was so paranoid about EVERYTHING and baby proofed everything but I guess since he's become a toddler, I've kinda become a little more laxed on the whole issue and the fact is, I should be more worried as now that he's a toddler, he gets into everything and messes with stuff that he never would have as a baby.  This is something my husband is definately doing whenever I get home!!!  He'll be so excited to be doing more work on his days off! LOL :)

MommyRJ
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM
We had this happen & thank GOD he was okay. We mounted all tvs & got furniture mounting brackets that connect to the wall for all dressers and shelfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaT1983
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM
My daughter (2 at the time) lacerated her liver because my tv (27 in flat front big back) slipped off the rolling cart we had it on. We gave it away and will never put a TV on something like that ever again. My son (5 then) was moving it closer to our bed and the wheel caught into a dip in the hardwood floor. I'm thankful everyday that she didn't have any other serious issues from it. She's a happy healthy 4 year old now!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)