Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

co-sleeping... kinda long

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 6:26 AM
  • 35 Replies
So is 4:30 am. My poor dd woke up a whileago crying, her eye was hurting. She was rubbing it all crazy and telling me I was making it worse when I tried to get the eyelashes that had got stuck in there out, so daddy to the rescue(he's and EMT so I usually let him handle this stuff anyway) anyways point of the post. We got dd back in bed and she was still upset and asked me to sleep with her so I did. While I was laying with her it got me thinking. Most of us sleep with dh dd bf what have you. Our kids see this as well as others too. So why is it we EXPECT them to sleep alone? Kids, especially young kids, want to do like mom and dad. Just a thought.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 6:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelenia
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 6:40 AM
1 mom liked this
i think it's a western thing. Cosleeping is the norm in many eastern countries. Funnily enough, they have a much lower rate of SIDS than we do, though that is merely a correlation. However, i've always coslept with my kiddo, who will be 5 in april. As a matter of fact i'm trying to fall back to sleep but CM is a foul and seductive temptress:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jen0911
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 6:47 AM
We co-slept with dd until she was 2 but moved her to her own room and bed right before ds was born last Aug. Now he's co-sleeping If dd ask for me to sleep with her I do. I just thought it was interesting. Could be the exhaustion. I should be trying to get back to sleep also, CM doesn't think I should lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2cheesebug
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this

My DD's crib is in my room along with an extra mattress for our stepkids even though they have their own room. I have no problem with co-sleeping, except there is five of us. I would never force them to sleep on their own, they are always more than welcome to come in our room and sleep, maybe not in the same bed all the time, but i see your point. i have woken up with three kids, SO, and two dogs all in the same bed, talk about hurting the next day.

itsm3
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this

each family does what they feel is right.  some cosleep; some don't.  some parents (like myself) are scared of hurting their kids which is why i never co-slept.    whatever decision that is made is not wrong; it's what suits the family.

foistela
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I agree

Quoting itsm3:

each family does what they feel is right.  some cosleep; some don't.  some parents (like myself) are scared of hurting their kids which is why i never co-slept.    whatever decision that is made is not wrong; it's what suits the family.

Owner of 

Admin of Fall 2008 babies

Abee2202
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:39 AM
My kid doesn't fall asleep easily and she kicks and our bed is too soft and I roll around a lot and my husband is a dead to the world sleeper and our bed is too high. It just does not work for us overall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crimsonangel180
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM
I co slept with my twins for a long time. Now I have then sleep with me if they are sick or cry in the middle of the night
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
buppyluck
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I have never co-slept with either of my children. They have their beds, I have mine. I never wanted them to get into the habit of sleeping in our bed. But when they are sick they can come and lay with us till they fall asleep and then Daddy or I carry them back into their bed. I grew up that mom and dad's room was their room. It was the one place in the house they did not have to be mom and dad...so I guess I am just used to it. Besides my eldest does not like to be touched when he is sleeping and my baby is a violent sleeper!  But each family does what is best for them...

Dmartin1986
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:54 PM

So true!  We didn't really have a choice with my disabled daughter though...she has a comfort issue when it comes to sleeping so she always has to have us next to her in the bed, so we didn't have the choice of having her sleep alone.

lstrickland
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:59 PM
2 moms liked this
That's why I've never had the heart to kick my kids out till they were ready. My son wanted to sleep on his own around 5 yrs old
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN