Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I F-ing Hate feeding my toddler!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:45 PM
  • 40 Replies

I have a 2 year old son (he will be 3 in May). He is such a PITA to feed!!! I want to rip out my hair, hold him down, and shove food into his mouth. I know I can't do that, and it won't solve the problem, but I am at my wits end! I can't take it anymore. I am not a short order cook, and cooking a minimum of 2 meals per mealtime is getting ridiculous!

His foods that he will eat are: Bread, cereal, crackers, fruit, bacon, chicken nuggets, yogurt, and french fries. He use to eat grilled cheese, but is refusing that now. He won't eat any other meat besides the two above (not even regular chicken), veggies, pasta, eggs, not even peanut butter. I have talked to my pedi once before, and she kind of said it wasn't a big deal, but it really is a big deal! We go back for his 3 year check up in May, but I don't think I can last that long. We are also changing insurances, so I can't even take him to a nutritionist until at least July.

I have tried offering him food we are eating. I'm okay with replacing it if he will take 1 bite, but he won't even do that. He sat at the table for 2 hours tonight and wouldn't eat 1 bite of an egg noodle. He will be going to bed hungry because of it.

Please help!!!!!

by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmum23
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM
2 moms liked this
Some kids are just picky. Try stocking up on healthier foods and don't buy junk food. When he sees his choices it might be easier to choose since the junk food wont be there. Make it a game when he eats. Sit with him and tell him lets see how long it takes you to eat on your mark,get set,go and start counting. My son loved to do that. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EcoModernMom
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM
3 moms liked this
To get my picky eater to eat I always say, "I bet you belly cannot hold all that food" or " I bet you can't take (insert number) bites". Make it a game or a challenge. Be like "wow" that you are amazed they took a bite, it encourages them. works for us anyway.
melonieb
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM
5 moms liked this

feed him what you cook. dont worry if he wont eat, when he is hungry he'll eat what you give him.

mommyof11050307
by Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

He will eat when he is hungry. Offer him what you cook and let him choose to eat it or not. Both of my kids went through this.

MedicturnedMama
by Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:02 PM

He really won't eat anything that he doesn't want too. He won't take a challenge, it won't be game, and he would rather starve than eat something he doesn't want. That is why I need help! If I had a dollar for every person that has given me some variation of the "he will eat when he gets hungry enough" line, I would be rich!

Prayin4Serenity
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow you described my son. I'm sitting here tonight completely irritated and down about my 2 year olds appetite. He'll also be 3 in may. He hasn't ate a decent meal in weeks. But he loves fruit so that seems to be what he eats. That and peanut butter toast or crackers. I'm frustrated. I know what your going through. No advice though, sorry. I will be watching for tips of my own. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:54 PM
3 moms liked this

Make a balanced meal....offer it to him.....have him sit a reasonable amount of time( NOT 2 hours more like 20 minutes) smile excuse him and inform him NOTHING until the next meal ....then do it all over.  DO NOT make different meals....do not beg......threaten........punish...........its a battle you will lose and actually cause way more problems.  You have already shown him HE is in charge and he knows you will eventually give in because you do.  He unless he has underlying medical problems will not starve himself and once he realizes your going to actually stick to what you say instead of what you have been doing he will then eat.

I don't understand how a normal human function gets so screwed up and how so many parents make it this HUGE issue and actually make it worse.

erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:55 PM

BTW its common for toddlers to eat next to nothing for a few days then eat alot. Their stomachs are only the size of their tiny fists......................parents all to often don't understand really how little food a toddler needs.

ciao_bella
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this
If he has no health issues then there is no need to rip your hair out!

I would never cook 2 meals. You don't eat, ya don't eat at my kitchen table.

Promise he won't starve himself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ciao_bella
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:58 PM
I can promise you that he won't starve himself ( as long as there are no medical issues) just curious what do you offer to eat and drink in a day? And what does he actually eat/ drink???

Quoting MedicturnedMama:

He really won't eat anything that he doesn't want too. He won't take a challenge, it won't be game, and he would rather starve than eat something he doesn't want. That is why I need help! If I had a dollar for every person that has given me some variation of the "he will eat when he gets hungry enough" line, I would be rich!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)