Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

head banging

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM
  • 12 Replies
any one have advice on head banging my dd has been head banging scence she was 15 mons old she almost three and im afraid shes now useing it to get out of time outs and quite time any advice on making it stop completley i just cant let it go on anymore in fears she might hurt herself one day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bieg9093
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM

What has the doctor said?  Has she ever knocked herself out?  And other quirks?

megannelove
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:40 AM
her docter says shes showing her frustrartion and she doing it for attention but this has been going on for quite some time

Quoting Bieg9093:

What has the doctor said?  Has she ever knocked herself out?  And other quirks?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megannelove
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:41 AM
she has never knocked herself out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joshlor2
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:42 AM
If your letting her out of trouble when she does it, then YUP she is doing it to push your buttons.
I had a head banger, I would put them in a playpen away from the wall, and wait it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megannelove
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:47 AM
its not only the wall its the hardwood floors its tables me her daddy she im almost positive its to push buttons and buondries ...i just wish it go away

Quoting joshlor2:

If your letting her out of trouble when she does it, then YUP she is doing it to push your buttons.

I had a head banger, I would put them in a playpen away from the wall, and wait it out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bieg9093
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Do you have any other concerns, behavioral or developmental?  If not, I'm with Joshlor...playpen and wait.  And once she's done, don't let her out right away either.  If she gets to come out as soon as she stops, then she's still pulling your strings.

megannelove
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM
she has a small speech delay but that all i can try the play pen

Quoting Bieg9093:

Do you have any other concerns, behavioral or developmental?  If not, I'm with Joshlor...playpen and wait.  And once she's done, don't let her out right away either.  If she gets to come out as soon as she stops, then she's still pulling your strings.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bieg9093
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:07 PM

She's getting services?

Quoting megannelove:

she has a small speech delay but that all i can try the play pen

Quoting Bieg9093:

PEEK05
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Sorry I've never dealt with this. I hope someone has tips for you.

HerInnerVoice
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Funny, I just blogged about this the other day.  Well, not head banging, exactly, but my son used to pull his own hair out, and the pediatrician said at the time it was the same kind of stress relief as head banging.

Google baby and toddler anxiety and stress relief toys. She might be a little old for the taggies-type stuff, but there are blow up punching bags and assorted other things that maybe you can redirect her to. Also, when my son gets stressed, he likes to have a good long jump on his trampoline (the little, one person kind, we keep it in the playroom).

Hope this helps some, it's so scary and frustrating to watch them do this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)