Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

nap strike, please help!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM
  • 5 Replies
Since we brought our newborn home my 2 yo son has been refusing his naps about every other day. Before baby brother's arrival I used to lay down with him sometimes but not always, usually he would end up falling asleep by himself somewhere between 3 and 6 p.m. and stay asleep for 1.5 - 3 hours. The late naps suck because then he's awake until the middle of the night but late nap is better than no nap at all, since that's often the only time I can really get housework done. I've tried the quiet, dark room; letting him "wear himself down" often fails... It seems like he might just be done with naps, but if he is then I need help with bed time. Should I give him a bath every night? We've been doing them every 2-3 days to try to save water but it is worth it if it will help get him to sleep. Any suggestions welcome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
-mrs.mamma-
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM
My son did the same shortly after we brought baby brother home too.
It was an adjustment, because naps were the same for me, a time to get things done as well as a break for my sanity.
But, I also like this new routine. He's ready for bed usually by 8p. And he takes a shower/bath around 7:30ish, he gets a little wind down time and then its vitamin, potty and brushing the teeth. Then straight to bed. He rarely will get up after that.
No fuss. No hassle. And he's usually more than ready for bed!
He's usually up around 7:30ish am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-mrs.mamma-
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Also, somedays he's overly tired, and will fall asleep around 3p..in which case I let him sleep for an hour and wake him. And he's still usually ready for bed at normal time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelseysd
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM
My little guy has never had a regular bedtime partly because DH and I have had such haphazard work schedules over the past 2 years (we both work in restaurants). I guess it's time to set up a more solid routine. We always do brushing teeth, story time, and then lights out but I guess I have to start enforcing a specific bedtime.

Quoting -mrs.mamma-:

Also, somedays he's overly tired, and will fall asleep around 3p..in which case I let him sleep for an hour and wake him. And he's still usually ready for bed at normal time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelseysd
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Ha, I meant to quote your first reply, oh well!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I would try a bath.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)