Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Communion

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM
  • 40 Replies
This is the second time in the last few weeks this has come up, so I thought I would get some opinions.

In our church (Protestant - Nazarene, if it matters), the kids go to children's church after the worship time. So if we have communion, my two and four year olds are with me (us if DH isn't working).
Now, a lot of people don't have a problem with little kids taking communion. But I grew up as a pastor's kid, and I took it from birth, so I have a slightly different perspective. I want my kids to wait until they have come to a relationship with Christ on their own to take part. I hate that it's not taken very seriously, and that it didn't mean anything to me until I was much older.
So my question is this: How do you explain communion to a four year old? And do you let your little ones receive communion?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linz0522
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I also am Nazarene and was a pastors kid and i am a Pastor in the Nazarene church. I was raised not being able to take communion until I could explain the meaning to my parents. That is what I am planning on doing with my children. I think it is valuable for kids to understand communion. But that is just my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemom1208
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM
My 3 year old takes communion. I like that he's a part of it even if he doesn't understand it yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrarrington18
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Not being the same faith as yo (Roman catholic is my faith) I don't understand how a child can take communion. We are not allowed to recieve communion intolerable are in 2nd grade and have made our first holy communion. I don't think a child that young understands the meaning behind it and is just doing it cause mommy and daddy are doing it. I wouldn't allow it. They should understand what they are doing and what it means to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourpassion
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM
My kids do not take communion, although they are welcomed to (by the church). I want them to understand why they take it.
With that said, I think everyone can do what they feel comfortable doing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StacyO722
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Being a Catholic you must wait till you make your 1st communion, which is about 1st grade. I agree with your statement of the children having their own relationship with God and Christ, and to understand what they are doing when recieving communion.

AutymsMommy
by Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:48 PM

We are Catholic; children do not receive communion until around second grade (it varies by parish) when they receive First Holy Communion (after their first reconciliation/confession).

Because it's standard, our children know to stay seated or simply walk with us as we receive communion, unless they are old enough to receive it. Non-Catholics cannot (or should not, rather) receive communion in a Catholic church, so I've never seen anyone have an issue explaining it to their child. Like you and your experience - it's something "taught" from birth.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Bieg9093
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM
2 moms liked this

I grew up Catholic and am now a Methodist.  There is a part of the service where Pastor invites everyone to participate in Communion and I took that literally and have always enjoyed that my kids take Communion.  I figure everybody can have an age appropriate relationship with God and with Jesus.  Maybe they wouldn't expalin it in the same way as an older child and an adult, but they can certainly understand the concepts of community, sharing, and gifts from God.  And when my very young kids stuck their little noses right into the little cup of grape juice and agreed with each other that God has the BEST smelling juice EVER, I think that was the beginning of a very lovely relationship.

PEEK05
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM

bump

yourpassion
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM
I like how you explained kids and their relationship with God. You are right, my children have their own relationship with God. They talk about it all the time. it's their relationship and their vocabulary at 4 & 6. I never thought of it that way :-).

Quoting Bieg9093:

I grew up Catholic and am now a Methodist.  There is a part of the service where Pastor invites everyone to participate in Communion and I took that literally and have always enjoyed that my kids take Communion.  I figure everybody can have an age appropriate relationship with God and with Jesus.  Maybe they wouldn't expalin it in the same way as an older child and an adult, but they can certainly understand the concepts of community, sharing, and gifts from God.  And when my very young kids stuck their little noses right into the little cup of grape juice and agreed with each other that God has the BEST smelling juice EVER, I think that was the beginning of a very lovely relationship.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coonsblessed
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM

My 3 yr old and 18 month old don't.  They won't until they are old enough for me to explain why we do it and they come to the decision to recognize Jesus as they're Lord and Savior.  I wasn't raised this way, but I also wasn't raised in church.  There are no special rules at the church I attend (Christian church) I just feel it's best for them to wait.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)