Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oldest or youngest in the class?? Do tell!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:25 PM
  • 29 Replies

So my 'preschooler' is about to be a 'gradeschooler' and I have to make the choice as to weather he will be the oldest one in pre-k or among the youngest in kindergarten. He has never done daycare full time but gets regular interaction with other kids. I know he can do whatever work is asked of him but Im more concerned about the social ramifications...this does set the tone for the rest of his school career.

Whats your opinion?

Where do yours fall in their classes age range?

What have you seen as the pros and cons to their age ranking?

Do you have any advice?

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM
I had no choice... My son missed the cut off by 25 days and as per state law, there were no options.

That being said, I am glad with how it has worked out.
momofnate0707
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I am in the same boat. My son's birthday is July 26th. He will be 5. He is already in prek 4. I thought about holding him back a year, but dh is insistant that he is ready. I guess he will be starting at barely 5yo. Worse thing that can happen is that he has to repeat k.

yourpassion
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM
My son's birthday is jan and my daughter's is oct. they both missed the cut off where I am. I don't have that problem but worried about it for my daughter when we lived in MI.
I don't know what to tell you other than go with your gut. You Definatly want to set Him up to succeed. Good luck!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I was always one of the youngest in my class and did great. I graduated when I was 17.

AMR320
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Me too because my bday is the end of July. My oldest will be 4 this month so she will be almost 5 1/2 when she starts K. My youngest's bday is Aug 10 she will be 1 so we will see how I feel in 4 years on if she is ready.

Quoting PEEK05:

I was always one of the youngest in my class and did great. I graduated when I was 17.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexasKaty
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:27 PM
I was the youngest in my class.. graduated at 16, then from college at 19. I loved it. My husband, on the other hand, graduated from high school at 19 and also loved it.

Both of us are teachers... We REALLY notice the immaturity of younger boys in 7th grade, and the advantages of the older boys... The cut-off in Texas is September 1. We're holding our May boy babies back. They'll start school at age 6 and finish within a month of turning 19.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madys-Mommy
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:27 PM
3 moms liked this

I am in the same situation.. My daughter is 4. She will be 5 years old the week school starts. She makes the cut off date. She is ahead of her other classmates in preschool. She can read and add single digit numbers, she is very ready for K ... but... that would make her the youngest.

My husband and I decided that we would have her in prek-4 this coming year and have her start K when she is 6 years old.

My reasons:  (these are not just reasons for now, her future is based on this decision also)

-one more year of playing before the "rest of her life of education"
-she will be driving before most her friends, this is good becuase I would rather her drive than ride with other kids that I don't trust
-if she gets in K and she truly needs to be in 1st grade, they will bump her up a grade..
-graduating at 18 and starting college at 19 sounds better to me. (that 1 year of being more mature)
-my husband and I were both some of the oldest with November birthdays
-she currently goes to preschool for 3 hours a day, 3 days a week.. prek will get her into the all day everyday routine she will need to be in for K, but we still have the flexibility to pick her up at lunch for half day or allow her to stay for an extra hour or more..

my list actually goes on but those are just some key points. I have gotten both sides of it. Some people agree and some people don't. I personally feel it is the right choice and have her signed up for PreK

I mean, how is it going to hurt staying a kid another year before you have to grow up and go to school?

BlueRay
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Quoting TexasKaty:

I was the youngest in my class.. graduated at 16, then from college at 19. I loved it. My husband, on the other hand, graduated from high school at 19 and also loved it.

Both of us are teachers... We REALLY notice the immaturity of younger boys in 7th grade, and the advantages of the older boys... The cut-off in Texas is September 1. We're holding our May boy babies back. They'll start school at age 6 and finish within a month of turning 19.

interesting..you enjoyed being the youngest but you seem to favor the kids being older in the class. May i ask why the difference in opinion?

TexasKaty
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I just favor it for boys :) The younger boys struggle in Jr high and early high school, where it can be "make it or break it" time in extracurricular activities, social events, etc. I would rather my boys be bigger, stronger, more mature, and more confident.

Quoting BlueRay:

Quoting TexasKaty:

interesting..you enjoyed being the youngest but you seem to favor the kids being older in the class. May i ask why the difference in opinion?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aschwarz06
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:51 AM
My oldest 2 are in the middle however my youngest will be the youngest in his grade, literally. They have to be 4 by July 31 and he will turn 4 on July 30
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)