Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleep. HELP US!!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM
  • 30 Replies

In August 2010 our daughter (She is now 3.5 years old) stopped being a perfect sleeper. She had always slept really well, but suddenly she just STOPPED. 1.5 years later, she is still not sleeping. We start the bed time process after dinner with a bath, pjs, brush teeth, stories, put little sister to bed at 7, sit and read more stories/play board games until about 8 and then we put her into bed. She gets a story and a few songs and then good night. She is constantly getting out of bed. We have done EVERYTHING. We have spent HOURS just getting up, not saying anything and putting her into bed. We have promised rewards. We have taken things away. We've made threats. We've slept on her floor. We have ignored her. We've talked to her doctor. Had her put on Intuniv for one week and then took her off of it. We have done EVERYTHING. I don't know what to do anymore. She shrieks at us and wakes up her little sister and then we have to spend more time trying to get her back to sleep. NOTHING works. I really, really don't know what to do anymore. I'm losing it. It's really having a terrible effect on our lives. My husband is in law school and I'm working on my MSN and I JUST finished getting my RN. I'm EXHAUSTED. I need HELP!

When we try talking to her about why she doesn't sleep she always has some weird reason that has nothing to do with going to sleep. We can't tell if it's nightmares or not because she won't tell us WHY SHE WON'T SLEEP. She is standing next to me screaming as I type this right now. It's 10:00 and she has been doing this for TWO HOURS STRAIGHT!

**My husband just suggested that we get her like, audiobooks or something like that because he thinks she's BORED and just can't settle her brain. I really don't know how she isn't tired because we literally RUN her twice a day to make sure she uses up her energy! I thought maybe we could find something like you'd put in a baby's crib with lights and things to look at and maybe that would make her sleepy but then my husband pointed out that this child doesn't even watch tv because she gets bored of it! Maybe she could have a book-light? But I don't know if even having access to all of her books would keep in bed? And we've gotten her more than one night light but she always asks us to turn then off? So it must not be the dark? Every time I look this up I come across anxiety disorders but I've seen TERRIBLE things happen to children who are put on drugs when they don't really need them...I just really don't know what to do. Maybe I need to start working the night shifts when I finish my MSN...at least I'll be able to sleep during the day when she's at school.

*** We have also tried "Sleepy Time Tea," warm milk, massage with lavender and chamomile lotion.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Have you seen more than one doctor to get different opinions? I'm sorry. I've never dealt with this. I can't imagine how tough that would be.

jslpruitt
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Bump....my dd who just turned 4 does this sorta, she comes out alot after bedtime for numerous reasons and nothing works either
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jslpruitt
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Oh but once she is out she is gone for the night
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mkh615
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Johanna gets up at least once during the night and she is always up the next day by 5 am.

Quoting jslpruitt:

mkh615
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM

No, we haven't. I have ADHD and so does my FIL. Her pedi is the same doctor I saw when I was younger and he thinks that she may have the sleep disorder that often goes hand in hand with ADHD but since she is way too young to actually get an ADHD diagnosis we are really not ok with her being on any kind of medication.When he did put her on Intuniv it made her miserable 100% of the time. She was only on it a week, but she was the most god awful thing ever and she was exhausted! She does go from being really cheerful and pleasant to a complete beast in like, a split second even without the medicine. BUT when she wakes up she is like, the most amazing, intelligent and coherent child you've ever seen in your life! Maybe we should look into seeing a different KIND of doctor?

Quoting PEEK05:

Have you seen more than one doctor to get different opinions? I'm sorry. I've never dealt with this. I can't imagine how tough that would be.

jslpruitt
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:10 PM
If mine gets up its to have me restart her i love lucy dvd...i wish i had some advice....keep takin her to her room

Quoting mkh615:

Johanna gets up at least once during the night and she is always up the next day by 5 am.

Quoting jslpruitt:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy92
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Idk what to tell you.

My dd does that only in her room. Just screams and screams. But i co-slept with her since she was a baby baby. She was 18 months when i tried to get her to sleep in her room. She still wakes up 3 times a night wanting a drink. (Shes 27 months atm). So i put her bed BESIDE our bed. Like right beside it. This was the only way i could get atleast 4-5 hours of sleep a night- even in our bed i was getting maxed 6 hours.

Im not saying to start co-sleeping. But maybe thats the only way for her to sleep?

Dd's issue was she had to fall asleep touching me. Like her nose to my nose. So now she gets to hold my hand since her bed is right beside us. Maybe you can try that?

Does she have a night light? Or what about some background mysic?

Dd refuses to sleep without background music.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mkh615
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM

We tried letting her sleep in our bed. She doesn't go to sleep. She just lies there and kicks us or climbs around the bed. We tried making her a little bed on the floor next to our bed but we'd fall asleep instantly and then she'd start getting into things and not go to sleep. She doesn't want a night light and we have the same white noise machine we got when she was born. I seriously feel like people offer such wonderful suggestions that make sense for every other children, but we have tried it all and nothing has worked :( I'm dying here. My cortisol level is like...through the roof :(

Quoting proudmommy92:

Idk what to tell you.

My dd does that only in her room. Just screams and screams. But i co-slept with her since she was a baby baby. She was 18 months when i tried to get her to sleep in her room. She still wakes up 3 times a night wanting a drink. (Shes 27 months atm). So i put her bed BESIDE our bed. Like right beside it. This was the only way i could get atleast 4-5 hours of sleep a night- even in our bed i was getting maxed 6 hours.

Im not saying to start co-sleeping. But maybe thats the only way for her to sleep?

Dd's issue was she had to fall asleep touching me. Like her nose to my nose. So now she gets to hold my hand since her bed is right beside us. Maybe you can try that?

Does she have a night light? Or what about some background mysic?

Dd refuses to sleep without background music.

Clubpenguin
by Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM
We have been going thru this with my little one the same age as yours. She will scream in the middle of the night and say leave me alone go away. She is a sweet child during the day but not at night. The neighbor even knocked to ask If she is sick at night. This lasts maybe three or four hours. We thought it might be acid reflux. The last week has been quiet but I never know when shell start again. Good luck to you.
itsm3
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:57 AM

is she napping still?  if so, cut it out and then put her to bed earlier for the night (say around 730pm).  other than that, i don't know have any other suggestions.  here's a bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)