Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking toddler swimming without lessons

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM
  • 25 Replies

My 2.5 year old has never been swimming. I don't feel totally comfortable in the water, and swimming has just never been much on our radar. I'd like to take her now though, and I know I want to enroll in lessons, but we've just missed the window for this month's session. Is it a good idea to take her to the pool during an open swim time? I know we won't have the guidance of an instructor, but I'd like to get familiar with the pool and facility and get used to going sometimes. I'm pretty clueless how I should go about it, and I guess I'm just afraid that it'd be silly to go on our own, 'cause all I ever hear about is kids being in lessons.

Somewhat related questions: What do you dress your younger babies in for indoor swimming? DS is 8 months old. Do you just do a swim diaper? A rash gaurd suit?

TIA, I'm looking forward to getting out with the little ones more this season!

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mariesmama
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:14 PM

we took ours to the lake swimming last yr with ear tubes im not sure how i do it though

crissydancer05
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
With my baby ive put him in a swim diaper, a onsie and a pair of shorts. Never had a prob with it. With your 2.5 old it would be great if its low enough where they can touch bottom. Going straight to a deep pool can be intimidating. I would also recomend a life jacket or one of those suits with one built in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexasKaty
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Sure, it's fine to go without lessons if you're supervising. Johnny went LOTS of times before he took lessons at 23 months. She'll love it! :) Just have her wear a swim diaper and swimsuit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacie0375
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Both of my kids have been swimming since they were infants. My son took lessons a few months before his 4th birthday and that was the biggest mistake I ever did with him. The instructor wasn't paying attention and he fell into the water and almost drowned, I literely jumped into the water fully clothed and 7 months pregnant with my daughter to rescue him. He was scared of the water for a while because of it. My daughter will never take lessons. I will teach both of my kids on my own how to swim.

LucyHarper
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:18 AM

As long as you dont take her outside of your swimming comfort zone, so you can act if shes in trouble, take her. I never had lesson, my sister never had lessons, my husband never had lessons, most of my friends never had lessons, we can all swim great, you dont need lessons to swim as long as you have someone to teach you who knows how to swim. My stepson is four, never had a lesson a day in his life, hes been taken in the water, with my husband holding him, since he was a baby, we started teaching him to swim at about 18 months, he can now swim independently like a fish, he swims all over the pool or lake. For babies, put them in a swim diaper and a bathing suit. Choose a quiet time, only in shallow water, no where too crowded, and only take on one child at a time while swimming. There are also guidlines about taking babies in, they get colder faster, so if the pool is below a certain temperature, they can only go in for a few minutes at a time, look into that.

steffielou_who
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:21 AM
At that age, my kids were swimming with arm floaties.. Shortly after I taught him to swim, he sketched them and now at age 7, swims better than most adults..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy2
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:14 AM

I have never had either of my kids in lessons and they both have been swimming since just a few months old. They wear a swim diaper and a swim suit. My kids will never take lessons either but I was a competitive swimmer and water polo player before them and I see no use in them when I can teach my kids to swim. My 5 year old swims without any types of floats and my 25 month old swims with just a noodle now.

MedicMommy2
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Arm floaties cause more deaths than they prevent, they do not qualify as a life saving device  and they are not regulated by the coast guard.

2-point-doe
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Take them and have fun. I agree with a zero entry pool if they have one. and if you are worried use a life jacket. DD has always worn a swim suit.

.Angelica.
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:25 PM

my son hasn't had lessons but he loves going to the pool.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)