Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Why do some parents have their preschoolers in strollers ? And what age do you thinkk it's inappropriate and time to stop?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not meaning  to sound judgemental, I am honestly wondering. I was at the mall tofday, with my mom and 3 1/2 y/o daughter, and we were letting ehr pick out ehr springtime/easter dress. I saw two other little girls there, about my daughter's age, one maybe just a tad younge, maybe late 2 or early 3 at the youngest, and the other about my girl's age or even odler possibly. They were both cramped and unahppy looking and looked like they just wanted tog et out, but the moms would yell at them if they tried to. Not scream but just speak in a firm harsh tone.

My daughter was walking around with us, and would soemtimes try to walk off etc, but I would simply remind her that that's not what you do at a store and you need to stay with the adults. And she'd listen...now I'm not saying she was always like this, but I hoenstly think that a strolelr is a crutch afetr awhile and it doesnt teacxh the kid how to act or move aorund in a store or how to stay with their parents. I udnerstand aprents are tired and just want to be in and out, but I still think it's silly to see a big kid ina s troller. I can see if they've been out all day and the kid is exhausted, or if the parent doesnt want to carry them as they are heavy at this age, but for just a small trip to a mall seems a ltitle overkill to me.

I realize I don't know their situation or what the kids had been doing all day...I'm just saying it looks funny and silly to me and am wondering if other moms think so too? I stopped using the stroller for little places when my daughter was 18 mons old...unelss it was a big shopping spree to the grocery store...but for just a few things or a new outfit then I would like to teach her how to walk around a store and how to act...it seems to have worked and it took a long time but it seems at 3 1/2 she behaves really well compared to other kids her age I see. Granted my daughter still has her (very very occasional and seldom) moments with a meltdown in a store and it's usually bc she's overtired...in that case we just leave...I don't keep her in a stroller to control her.

For kids like 2 or even 3 and up, What do you think? do you think it looks and seems silly? and that it's age-inappropriate? Or do you do it yourself? I am not talking about big trips to family amusement parks or huge all day outings, etc., but little places? Do you think it's better to teach a child to walk around and stay with their parents at a store instead of keep them contained? Do you think it can be like a "crutch" to some parents? What age do you think is the time to stop using the stroller? when did you stop with your kid(s)? If you haven't why do you do it for little  things? how hard is it to just have them stay with you and hold your hand? And I mean kids with typical needs, not atypical or special needs chidlren.

by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 9:19 PM
Replies (151-159):
creoletexan
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:37 AM

We ONLY use a stroller when we are doing a lot of walking.  For instance, we went to San Diego and I prefer to walk places instead of driving and having to find a place to park, so we had the stroller just in case my son got tired.  Any other time, he walks like everyone else.  I guess he stopped using it regularly when I would always forget to bring his stroller.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I still keep an umbrella stroller in the van for my middle DD, and she'll be 5 next month. It's mostly for places like Disneyland or Knott's, though. Occasionally I've used it at the mall if I planned to go from one end to the other; 2 hours or more of walking is tiring, imo, and I have no problem whipping out the stroller if it makes my DD more comfortable. And no she is NOT a lazy child; she's extremely active in cheer and gymnastics and could walk miles if she had to. But why be tired and worn out if you don't need to be?

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 12 1/2 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 4 1/2 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David - 4/12/2012 - 3 months old

Adamswifeypoo08
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I have a 14 month old (just starting to walk) and a 3 year old. If we are at the mall or something, we take the double stroller but just recently we started letting him walk and teaching him to not wander. I hate seeing 5 and 6 year olds stuffed into a umbrella stroller.

jendawn1
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not sure if I answered this one before but not every has a car. My dd can't walk the 40 mins to the store then back. Its too dAngerous and its a lot on her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovingmomfarm
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I take the stroller most the time. My 2 year old thinks she has to touch everything and tries to run around. I always take it in case she starts acting up. It makes things easier sometimes. We always start off walking though. But she also has health problems, so it helps because of that too.
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I am with you on this one.  I also think it is weird to see toddlers in strollers.  We threw out the double stroller when my younger son was 2.5 (I have 2 boys 14 months apart).  We hadn't used it in months and we'd rather use the space for something else.  When we go on outings, my boys walk.  When they stop walking, it's time to go.  This gauge has worked for us to avoid meltdowns---they let us know they are too tired to walk (or continue whatever we are doing) and so we leave prior to getting to so tired that it's meldown city.

Jnc91
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM
My son is 4. For short trips we don't bring a stroller but if we plan on going to more than 2 stores in the mall or an amusement park we being the stroller. He may not sit in it but it's an option. He is too big for me to carry. He is also a runner so i much prefer when he is in his stroller anyway.
mojonu
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM
We stopped using the stroller when my ds was about 1 1/2. Only time after that was if we went for a walk in the neighborhood or at disney world.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
---terrah---
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I honestly don't believe that there is some "magic age" where a child needs to be out of a stroller. A lot depends on the child and where you are going.

We have a 4 year old and a newborn. Our 4 year old will sometimes use a stroller if we are going to a place where without it, he'd be walking for hours. For instance, my DH took him to a motorcycle show yesterday. They basically were walking from noon-8pm. Obviously, my 4 year old got tired at some point and it was nice to have an umbrella stroller for him to ride in for awhile to rest his legs.

We don't use strollers on trips to the mall, grocery store etc. except now for my newborn.

As far as your question OP, I personally don't think a 2 year old is too old for a stroller. To me a 2 year old is just one step above babyhood even though they are considered a toddler. So I don't think it looks funny to have a 2, 3, or even 4 year old in stroller. Every circumstance is different and I think it's silly to judge other parents for ridiculous things like whether their child is in a stroller:) If a child wants to ride in a stroller I'd let them....if they don't want to I definitely wouldn't force them into one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN