Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Advice & Info #2: How can I get my active toddler interested in arts and crafts?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM
  • 51 Replies

With a very busy toddler in the house who's rarely still, I'm jealous of moms whose kids love to sit and do creative activities.

How can I get my active toddler interested in arts and crafts?

Tell me what's worked for you in the replies below.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help millions of other moms!  Click here to offer more Advice & Info.

by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bamababe1975
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

When it comes to arts and crafts and toddlers, I think it's more a question of how not to involve them once you get everything out, lol. They didn't have to sit very still for many of the things we did, and we had a blast with the messier activities like fingerpainting with pudding! :)

Cafe Naomi
by Head Admin on Mar. 21, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Quoting bamababe1975:

When it comes to arts and crafts and toddlers, I think it's more a question of how not to involve them once you get everything out, lol. They didn't have to sit very still for many of the things we did, and we had a blast with the messier activities like fingerpainting with pudding! :)

Finger painting with pudding???!!!  That's the first I've ever heard that - it sounds like soooo much fun!  

PEEK05
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know. My 3 year old has ALWAYS been interested in that type of stuff.

First goal to get back to a normal weight, then I'll work on getting to where I used to be!

.Angelica.
by Angie on Mar. 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM

my son likes making stuff.

bamababe1975
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

It was a BLAST!  We had a big kitchen at the time and we laid an old shower curtain on the floor, gave them some plain paper and a big bowl of pudding, and let them at it! LOL. It was vanilla pudding that I dyed with food dyes to different colors, and the good thing about it was that if they ate it while they painted, no big deal. ;) Plus, after they were done, I just took them out back and hosed them off for even more fun! :)

Quoting Cafe Naomi:

Quoting bamababe1975:

Finger painting with pudding???!!!  That's the first I've ever heard that - it sounds like soooo much fun!  

NearSeattleMom
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM

It really depends on your child.  I used to do fairly formal arts and crafts with my twins (my first kids) . . . but they never really loved it.  Then along comes my daughter, who makes up her own craft projects.

But I do think that the process is the fun part, not just the end result.  I have always allowed them to create whatever they want with glue, scissors, paper, playdoh, paint.

Oh and a fun and easy way to "paint" with really little ones is to give them construction paper and plain water - the water darkens the construction paper and looks like paint.  No fuss, no muss!

TexasKaty
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Most kids LOVE arts and crafts! I agree that it's not hard to get them interested. :) I've found so many great ideas on Pinterest!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 21, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Some kids are just not into arts and crafts. You can give him different mediums to try: markers, paint, finger paint, crayons, scissors, etc - maybe he will find one he likes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
foistela
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you just need to try different things to figure-out what they like to do. There are so many crafts to chose from, they are bound to like something.

Owner of 

Admin of Fall 2008 babies

babowes
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Offer it all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)