Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Advice & Info #2: How can I get my active toddler interested in arts and crafts?

Posted by   + Show Post

With a very busy toddler in the house who's rarely still, I'm jealous of moms whose kids love to sit and do creative activities.

How can I get my active toddler interested in arts and crafts?

Tell me what's worked for you in the replies below.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help millions of other moms!  Click here to offer more Advice & Info.

by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
4flowers4ever
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:19 AM
They just see the paper colors, glitter, paint,buttons, and everything else and they come running. I think it's just a matter of having options. Offer as many different things as you can so they can pick what they want to do. My 3 yr old may want to color and paint while my 1 yr old may want to glue things on paper. It depends on the child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aviatioNation
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:27 AM

You have to find a craft or art that appeals to your child. Kids aren't going to pay attention to things that don't interest them.

frederickmse
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM

my son is constantly running around the house playing but he loves to do arts and crafts!! esp if its finger painting or anything that will get messy.  lol 

PrincessZ20
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I think that if you find quick and easy (and often messy!) crafts, you can't keep them away! 

Finger painting, gluing pom poms or crinkled up tissue paper, stamping, decorating a gingerbread house, etc  are all fun :)  It definitely takes a lot of parental involvement, though, lol.

NildaMijares
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Quoting bamababe1975:

When it comes to arts and crafts and toddlers, I think it's more a question of how not to involve them once you get everything out, lol. They didn't have to sit very still for many of the things we did, and we had a blast with the messier activities like fingerpainting with pudding! :)

momofone453
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM

i start doing things and she has to do it too.

Nighttiger
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Patience and your own excitement!  DS does not sit still at all! However, recently we started working with him on crafts. At first, it will only hold his attention for a few minutes.  This is because its more difficult than running around, and he has energy to spare. Every time we introduce it, he does it for longer and longer, probably because he's getting more confident with it and getting used to what it requires. Keep introducing it.  Your kid may not sit still in the first session, but you will be amazed by the 10th.

Tarac1012
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 1:06 PM

don't try to control the arts and craft time - and do it with them. My 2 yr old won't sit and do a craft or art if I don't do it with her - but if we are doing it together she is all in!

Kellyjude1
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 1:44 PM

My son loves to do arts and crafts.  We would find some wonderful websites on the internet that would give us lots of ideas for fun little projects.  My son also liked some websites online that we could color online or do some fun activities.  Hope some of these ideas help. 

abbysmommy429
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Make it fun and age appropriate! Each day I try to mix it up with something new and let her interest guide the projects.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN