Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Advice & Info #2: How can I get my active toddler interested in arts and crafts?

Posted by   + Show Post

With a very busy toddler in the house who's rarely still, I'm jealous of moms whose kids love to sit and do creative activities.

How can I get my active toddler interested in arts and crafts?

Tell me what's worked for you in the replies below.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help millions of other moms!  Click here to offer more Advice & Info.

by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Replies (31-40):
B-FigNewton
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM

My kids are always busy and on the go, but they love play-doh. I swear if it's messy it will get their attention!

paladinmom
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 2:53 PM

The best is to just sit down with them and get started!  

For some cute ideas... http://www.babycenter.com/kids-activities

Ashes0813
by Member on Mar. 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Use a variety and do it together.  One day we will finger paint, the next make cards and glue stuff, then we will paint with brushes.  Change things up, show off what they have created, and do the crafts with them.

MommyMays
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Make sure the activities are interesting and focus more on the process than the product. I always tried to do extravagant projects with my DD when she was younger, and she never showed interest, so we did a lot of playing in shaving cream and food painting-different textures, and we did stuff like foot painting. Sometimes I would set out a bunch o paint and glue and glitter and such, sit her down on some newspaper, take off her clothes, and tell her to make whatever she wanted. 

jakesmom323
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM

My 2 year old son is more interested in throwing the crayons or colored pencils in the floor than coloring. He does love stickers though, and I'll buy his favorite Mickey Mouse, Cars, etc. stickers to get him interested.  He really enjoys peeling them off and putting them on the paper.  (toys, walls, table, mommy, toilets, etc.) They also do a lot of neat things in his preschool that is great for group interaction and age appropriate art projects.

RutterMama
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM

My son never took to it as a toddler... I put him in his high chair with paint once and he freaked out!

But a few weeks ago I put both kids in teh bath tub with colored shaving cream... to paint in the bath tub! They had a BLAST!

My opinion is just REALLY hands on type things - sidewalk chalk paint, things outside where they can get messy & hosed off!

LancesMom
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Do them with your kids. My son and I loved to do things together.

momoftwins_2
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 2:29 PM

i let my kids experiment with stuff. give them kids scissors, glue, pens, whatever i have and let them make whatever they want to

WesternNYmom
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Start simple. I started my kids out with crayons and colored paper. I then moved on to playdoh and then painting with watercolors.  My daughter loves to draw paint and make her own jewelry with colored beads. My son loves to paint, and mold things out of playdoh.  They also love to create there own holiday decorations.  The foam kits from the craft store are great. For those parents who hate messy paints and glue, legos and foam block are another great way to bring out a child's artistic side.

haleykj
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 2:54 PM
I don't feel like explaining all these but u can always google what u don't know: clean mud, pudding paintings or writing, shaving cream, ooblik, slime/gunk/goop(there's millions of ways to do these) using dishsoP bottles to squirt colored water into snow/sand, look up "sensory tubs" on pinterest(TONS of cool ideas), use spaghetti noodles to paint with, bubble pictures are fun, hhmmmm thaw all I got for now I'm sure I'll think of ten more in a minute to post lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN