Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Advice & Info #6: What is your overall approach to discipline with your toddler?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 1:08 PM
  • 52 Replies
1 mom liked this

"My toddler is very rebellious and will often ignore my instructions or refuse to do what I say."  Does that sound familiar?  How do you handle it?  Not true for your family? What advice would you give a mom in those shoes?

What is your overall approach to discipline with your toddler? Are you very consistent with how you handle things or do you take things case by case? 

Tell me your stories and strategies in the replies below.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help millions of other moms!  Click here to offer more Advice & Info.

by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bamababe1975
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I'm very consistent. For whatever bad behavior it is, there's a consequence, usually just time out in a corner since they absolutely can't stand that.

PEEK05
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM

For my 3 year old, we usually just have to have a simple conversation with her, explaining to her what she is doing wrong and what better choices might be. That usually works. Other times, she has "one of those days" and refuses to listen all day. That's when we do 1-2-3. We are very consistent with what we do. I have a very behaved girl who has never thrown a temper tantrum at home or in public.

First goal to get back to a normal weight, then I'll work on getting to where I used to be!

NearSeattleMom
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Avoid trouble.  Don't put child into a situation where he/she will have trouble (like shopping during what should be naptime). 

So many things are developmental and will pass.  So I try to focus on positive rewards and natural consequences.  I try not to escalate things with toddlers. 

Mainly, I give choices to children.  Let them have as much power as is reasonable, so they can choose (between two pre-approved choices) what to drink, eat, wear, etc.  And I invite them to cooperate instead of ordering them around:  "let's pick up our toys now" instead of "pick up your toys now!"

TexasKaty
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Clear, simple rules with clear, simple consequences! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Unconditional love, mutual respect, clear boundaries and clear consequences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexasKaty
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Perfectly said!

Quoting TTC2Long:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Yes!

Quoting TTC2Long:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM
First, we have reasonable age appropriate expectations. The boundaries are clear and consistent - the rules, while few, do not change. We view discipline as teaching. First we try to set up the environment for success. We look for ways to prevent issues. Then we move on to redirection and distraction. And last but not least is using logical consequences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Since ds is still under two, we mainly redirect at this point but we are always clear about what is expected and he knows he will be removed if those expectations are not met. Example: eating at a restaurant, you will stay in your seat until mom and dad are finished eating (most of the time he complies), if tries to crawl out or gets loud, one of us will remove him and take him outside and sit in the car until he can calm down. Rarely happens, but works.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Be consistent! If you let up once it starts all over again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN