Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Need help, my son is addicted to SpongeBob!

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 2:01 PM
  • 20 Replies

My 15 month old is addicted to SpongeBob Squarepants.
He loves it! He mummbles along to the theme song, says "OOOOO" at the beginning of the song. He sits still and watches the show on the couch throughout the ENTIRE episodes. I keep trying to see if he'll watch something more...educational. But he won't!
All he wants to watch is SpongeBob. I've started to go to our community pool since they've finally opened it, but once we get in the house and daddy and mommy sit down to try and watch something, he looks at us and says "BumBob" (That's how he says it.) and when we say "No, not right now."; he starts crying.

I don't know what to do. We try to get him to play w/ the mountains of toys he has, he does but once the t.v. goes on he runs out and says "BumBob?". I don't know what to do anymore, anyone have advice?

by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

We do SpongeBob in moderation. I hate the stupid show but DH likes it. My children never get to watch it if I'm home but if my husband is home, he lets them watch it. Good luck.

First goal to get back to a normal weight, then I'll work on getting to where I used to be!

krystyneh
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 2:06 PM
My 4 year old daughter loves watching that and dora and I love Charlie or whatever but she also loves watching Jersey Shore, the big bang theory, law and order SVU and some others but I give her homework that she has to do every day she gets home from preschool because her preschool doesn't teach her crap
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygomez
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Even if he cries, "no" is "no", just don't put it on, and redirect him elsewhere. I know, it's easier said than done, though. Best wishes!

My daughter doesn't know who Spongebob is, but she is obsessed with The Wiggles (which i love too :)), but she knows when she can and cannot watch it.

Shani527
by Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 2:47 PM
I would break the habit for him. I've had to do that with certain shows and declare "no tv days"
A few days of no sponge bob what do ever may do the trick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gcstar42
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 5:54 PM

We dont watch spongebob around here. But no matter what the situation is the key is just dont give in when you tell him no. Even if he cries you have to stick to what you say or it will just get worse as he gets older.

TruthSeeker.
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM

There have actually been studies done on children that watch spongebob and their ability to retain information and hyperactivity. I would really limit his intake of spongebob to a couple times a week if that at this age.

Ashley.Burress
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice! I really appreciate it. I think I may try the couple of days without SpongeBob like Shani527 suggested. It may be hard to do, but something has to be done. =)

othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 7:52 PM

All three of my kids have gone through a sponge bob phase. My  21/2 year old sings along with it and dances. I would just limit the amount to maybe 2-3 episodes a day.

MommaGreenhalge
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 8:46 PM
My boys have never watched SB, but they LOVE PBS kids. I have to turn the TV off at certain times of the day, or tell them, "We've already seen this one, let's do something else." I really hate Calliou (and what my boys act like when they watch too much of him), so sometimes I'll declare naptime before it comes on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM
I know it is super hard. But I would avoid all TV at this age. Even "educational" ones. (of course the except, rare chance, you are sick or he is sick). They have shown no benefit and actually studies suggest they detrimental.

TV toons are child crack. You have to detox him. Stick to the "no" and he will eventually quit asking!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)