Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

how do you do it???

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM
  • 24 Replies
How do u get your kids to eat different meals???.. my ds4 doesn't want to eat anything but hot dogs.. cereal.. bread.. and eggs w hot dogs ooh and mac and cheese???.. he used to eat chicken and rice and different things.. now he doesn't want anything but those things... I mean there not very healthy so he can't eat that all the time.. so anyone else going thorough this or gone through this?.. what do u do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xo.MommyW.xo
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Dont give them a choics
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyslate
by Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this
She doesn't get to dictate what she will eat. I make the meal, she eats it, or she doesn't eat. If I let her pick what we ate we'd be having Mac and cheese, yellow rice and raspberries for every meal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joshlor2
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 5:35 PM
My kids went thru that stage, around 3-4. Actually at 11-5 they are still in that stage. I cook what I cook and if they do t like it they don't eat. I make sure there is at least one thing on their plates they like, and I don't force it. If they eat they eat, if not they starve until the next meal. They have slowly added to their list of approved foods over the years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maidjillian
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Two words:

Sneaky Chef

Changed our lives!

Lorelai_Nicole
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

There was a time when Kiki (now 8) was very picky. I finally got tired of it and went hardcore with her. She got a plate of what everyone else was eating. If she didn't want to eat it, that was fine, but I wasn't going to make her another meal. I knew she would eat when she was hungry. After a couple of days of eating very little, she finally got hungry enough and started eating what was on her plate. It about killed me to see her go hungry, but I wasn't going to make a separate meal for her everyday. Especially since she would only eat processed junk. It wasn't like I was starving her; I was putting a full plate of food in front of her at each meal. She was the one choosing not to eat. She was about 3 at the time.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 12 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 4 1/2 years old
Charlotte Chloe & Harmon David due 04-15-2012

MommaGreenhalge
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 5:56 PM
They don't have options. My two year old actually has to eat his vegetable before he can get anything else. We also don't let them snack all day so they really are hungry when dinner comes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenaSmith
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM
My 4 year old does This. i cook he either eats it or not. i learned to give breakfast lunch snack then dinner and not let him graze. he loves bread so he gets wheat and only with dinner. try substitutes like that. maybe get creative.
his pedi actually told me just let him eat it cause they will get tired of it. but i just hated processed foods. Boiled eggs maybe in a salad. pigs in a blanket with chicken soup. Maybe try put carrots with the mac and cheese. if she just is persistent but only give one those or maybe ask her what choices she would like for dinner when going grocery shopping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashmac03
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I never offered my girls junk food.  They have to eat a balanced meal before they are allowed any treats.  If they don't eat then they don't eat until their next meal.  

heathermarie23
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I make him try 3 bites (because he's 3 y/o) of whatever is for dinner, each dish. If he has tried them and doesn't like them then I'll give him something he will eat, I don't believe in starving kids... they like what they like just as we adults do... but often times he finds that he likes it and will finish it...   Good luck!

leticia2
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 9:52 PM
I don't give her choice. Like the other moms if she doesn't want it, she doesn't eat.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN