Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Why dont they listen

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have a 4 yr old daughter and a 2.5 year old son and neither of them listen. Doesnt matter what it is, you tell them something 1 minute and a minute later they are at it again. People say patience and repitition, but really there is just a point where they are suppost to actually stop. I am starting to get fed up with this, I could use some words of wisdom.    

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bec94
by Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM
I have none I go through the same thing with my almost 5 yr old dd ( next month is her bday) and 2 1/2 yr old dd
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2and2onway
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Have them repeat everything you say to them, get down to their level to talk wit hthem eye to eye. 

myerslisa2
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM
I repeat myself sooooo much sometimes that I swear I just want to make a recording I can play lol.

We do time outs, some days we do a lot of them. Consistancy, routine and lots of patience are key with us. I've got an almost 2.5 year old and an almost 4 year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Troysbabygirl69
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Oh I know exactly how you feel I go through the same thing with my 4 year old and idk what to do either and it is getting very old and tiring :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tab_1985
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I could use the same advice! I have a 5 year old who behaves very well. My almost 2 year old on the other hand is hell on wheels. It doesn't matter what I do or how many times I do it she just refuses to listen. I am hoping she grows out of this little phase very soon.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM

my son doesn't listen... it's frustrating.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Listening isn't something that just happens...there's no instinct at work.  It is a learned skill.  Some kids learn it more easily than others, but they all need to be taught. 

Devote a few weeks towards teaching them.  That means other stuff like laundry and cleaning is going to take a back seat during that time.  But once they've learned it, they will only need occasional reminders and plenty of positive reinforcement in order to keep listening.

mybabysmama35
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM

You just have to keep at it. I know it gets really frustrating sometimes!!! Most times I think the wall would listen better than my kids!!!!

PEEK05
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:59 PM

There are days where my daughter won't listen at all but thankfully they are far apart from each other. I hope you find something that works. I know how frustrating it can be.

JNLmomme09
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM
4 is a tuff age they arent babies or older children. I remember thinking when did i start expecting so much out of them. Its just the age
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN