Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Donation instead of gifts for birthday party?

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 4:35 AM
  • 5 Replies

My daughter's second birthday is coming up soon and she really doesn't play with toys much at all.  She has plenty, she's just more into people than toys.  Hubby and I are building her a sandbox for her birthday and that seems plenty to me.  I know most people will want to bring a gift to her party so is there a polite way for me to suggest a donation to our local childrens charity in leiu of a gift on the back of the invites?  I don't want it to sound assumptive or anything...  Thanks for your help.

by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 4:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
VioletPlacebo
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:38 AM
3 moms liked this

We request your presence, not your presents. However, if you intend to purchase a gift, please consider donating to x charity in daughter's name. This organization means a lot to us. Thank you so much.

lzbnmom
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
We had guest write our child a letter for her birthday in lieu of gifts we put them in her memory book for her to open when she gets older. For her second birthday we had a family member ask (on evite) if we had started an account for her, everyone can see messages so people just asked if it was ok to make a deposit instead of a gift. We had four people who brought gifts. Our Childs birthday is the first week in Jan. So we don't want people to feel like we expect gifts since they are recovering from Xmas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Necie72
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:39 AM

DD was invited to a classmates 3rd birthday party.  In the invite, they had a slip of paper, requesting that guests bring in gently used or new winter apparel items for donation to Project Bundle Up.  At first I thought it was weird and felt bad, but figured they knew what was best for their son, so, we donated a jacket, mittens and hat.  I gave him a card and wanted to put cash, but didn't want to insult them.  I think people will meet your request.  I'm considering doing the same for DD's 4th because her birthday is in January and we were still trying to find space for Christmas stuff!

kattu
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Perfect!

Quoting VioletPlacebo:

We request your presence, not your presents. However, if you intend to purchase a gift, please consider donating to x charity in daughter's name. This organization means a lot to us. Thank you so much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IndigoOwl
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM
Love the wording of this. I wanted to collect children's books in lieu of gifts at dd last bday but I couldn't come up w/ an appropriate way to word it. And I knew people would be annoyed and bring her a gift anyway so we ended up not doing it. But this is good!

Quoting VioletPlacebo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN