Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

What your policy regarding the TV?

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter just turned 2 and we allow her to watch TV around 1h per day, half an hour in the morning and half an hour at night. The main reason is for her to be familiar with english because it's not our native language and we speak french at home. 

I never though I would allow my child to watch TV that young, but to be honest sometimes it also the possibility for me to have a little bit of a break in the morning and be able to take my breakfast, otherwise she is constantly running around, ask me to be with her, to do this or that, and if I don't she screams...She is a very energetic and very demanding child :-)

Don't get me wrong I like to spend time with her during the day, but I also like to take my breakfast a little bit peacefully.

I was wondering if you allow your toddler to watch TV, and if yes how long?

I know it will be better for her not to watch it at all, but for now we decided to allow her to watch it.

If you want to share your experience about TV and Toddler I'll be glad to read it :-)

Thanks

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Replies (51-57):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Quoting 2and2onway:

I have no policy, my kids have TV on 24/7 and they never watch it, it is background noise. None of my kids sit longer than 1/2 hr anyway lol

Yep, this.  As long as it doesn't keep them from wanting to go outside or creates tantrums when it's time to go, I said I would just keep it on as background noise.  Because of the amazing invention of Tivo, we never have any arguments because they can finish a show some other time...which they never do cuz they forget about it!

Beth (32) DH (37) Tyler (5) Bayley (2 1/2)

Momma870911
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:05 AM

My kids are 15months and 2 1/2 yrs old. We do have the tv on throughout most of the day. Majority of the time it's only on Disney Junior and by the time the afternoon comes we switch to Nick Jr (older Disney shows take over at that point). Oh and no Spongebob. If my boyfriend is over to help with the kids; the tv isn't on as much. Now that I'm on summer break from school I'm going to try and have the tv off a little more so we can do other activities. My kids though do not sit down all day long only watching the tv. They move about and do other things too while periodically looking at the tv. So half the time it's background noise. Oh and from watching bilingual shows; my daughter is now able to count up to 8 in Spanish and 3 in Mandarin Chinese and can say Thank You and You're Welcome in Spanish as well! She is a sponge and absorbing it all. When it come to speech; you have to spend lots of physical time with your kids by talking them through lots of things (look we have a blue ball, wow you bounced the blue ball, etc) so they get language/word exposure. The tv (depending on the shows) can also help with this too! It helps expose them to language/words for them to learn. I know Moose and Zee usually have a 'word of the day' at times which I think is very nice!

wemdsd6
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM

My husband has been applying for new jobs and within 3 days of turning in his application he had interviews and has had 3 job offers, all because he is fluent in 5 different languages. He speaks, English, German, Japanese, Spanish, and French.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Very true. If two people apply for a job and one is bilingual (Spanish and the Asian languages are the most desired), the bilingual applicant will get the job 99% of the time. This is especially true with jobs in customer service or sales.

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Rather be safe than sorry. He's 4 and started talking at 3. He still bumbles. He doesn't need to learn a different language, mixing it with his own when he can't even speak english. Plus I don't see the purpose in learning a different language.

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

My son is behind with speech. That is why.

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

I don't want my kids learning different language until they mastered English.

Quoting crimsonangel180:

Why not those shows

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

My son watch tv but policy in my house is no dora,kai lan, diego or sesame street for both kids.

You do realize that from ages 0-7 is when all languages can be mastered together and it is a proven fact that children in other countries learn more than one language at a time starting at age 3 or so and master them by secondary school. My preschoolers are learning spanish and mandarin chinese as well as English and are well above average for many children their age. 

It still wont hurt him, it will not affect his speech in a negative way either. I am not being mean just telling you the truth.

you should research on dual language learning at an early age. Learning more than one language could actually put our children ahead of the game in the workforce later in life.

wemdsd6
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM

My kids get to watch 2 hours a week during the summer and during the winter after chores and homework get done they are allowed  3 hours a week.

babowes
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Really....this IS the best time to learn. Ditto ot below post.

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

I don't want my kids learning different language until they mastered English.

Quoting crimsonangel180:

Why not those shows

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

My son watch tv but policy in my house is no dora,kai lan, diego or sesame street for both kids.

You do realize that from ages 0-7 is when all languages can be mastered together and it is a proven fact that children in other countries learn more than one language at a time starting at age 3 or so and master them by secondary school. My preschoolers are learning spanish and mandarin chinese as well as English and are well above average for many children their age. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babowes
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:55 AM
My kids watch some in the morning and some in the afternoon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobynS
by Robyn on May. 20, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I think an hour a day is reasonable. I know some kids watch all day long, which isn't healthy, IMO. My DD (age 3) watches tv--as much as 2 hours some days but I will be cutting that back to only an hour. We always choose educational programs--no Spongebob or anything like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)