Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What your policy regarding the TV?

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter just turned 2 and we allow her to watch TV around 1h per day, half an hour in the morning and half an hour at night. The main reason is for her to be familiar with english because it's not our native language and we speak french at home. 

I never though I would allow my child to watch TV that young, but to be honest sometimes it also the possibility for me to have a little bit of a break in the morning and be able to take my breakfast, otherwise she is constantly running around, ask me to be with her, to do this or that, and if I don't she screams...She is a very energetic and very demanding child :-)

Don't get me wrong I like to spend time with her during the day, but I also like to take my breakfast a little bit peacefully.

I was wondering if you allow your toddler to watch TV, and if yes how long?

I know it will be better for her not to watch it at all, but for now we decided to allow her to watch it.

If you want to share your experience about TV and Toddler I'll be glad to read it :-)

Thanks

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Replies (21-30):
indy1979
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Thank all of you for sharing :-)

xx.felisha.xx
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:25 PM
My son is behind with speech. That is why.

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

I don't want my kids learning different language until they mastered English.

Quoting crimsonangel180:

Why not those shows

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

My son watch tv but policy in my house is no dora,kai lan, diego or sesame street for both kids.

You do realize that from ages 0-7 is when all languages can be mastered together and it is a proven fact that children in other countries learn more than one language at a time starting at age 3 or so and master them by secondary school. My preschoolers are learning spanish and mandarin chinese as well as English and are well above average for many children their age. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RockinMama0608
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM

We don't have any policies regarding TV in the house.  I allow the kids to watch a little TV before and after school.  Most of the time they don't pay much attention to it and would rather play with toys/going outside.   My kids are 4 and almost 6.

2and2onway
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Quoting crimsonangel180:

Why not those shows

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

My son watch tv but policy in my house is no dora,kai lan, diego or sesame street for both kids.

You do realize that from ages 0-7 is when all languages can be mastered together and it is a proven fact that children in other countries learn more than one language at a time starting at age 3 or so and master them by secondary school. My preschoolers are learning spanish and mandarin chinese as well as English and are well above average for many children their age. 

It still wont hurt him, it will not affect his speech in a negative way either. I am not being mean just telling you the truth.

Paperfishies
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:59 PM
No policy. My kids can watch tv whenever they want. I'm not going to be a TV nazi and make the television an issue when it isn't one..they just prefer to play most of the time rather than watch tv but the TV is open to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 7:08 PM

None before 2. After 2 very limited amounts like maybe 1/2 hour a day.

My kids are 5 and 7 and watch less than an hour a day.

xx.felisha.xx
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Rather be safe than sorry. He's 4 and started talking at 3. He still bumbles. He doesn't need to learn a different language, mixing it with his own when he can't even speak english. Plus I don't see the purpose in learning a different language.

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Quoting crimsonangel180:

Why not those shows

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

It still wont hurt him, it will not affect his speech in a negative way either. I am not being mean just telling you the truth.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sstripedmonkey
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this
same with us the one in the room is off at 4 when dh gets home dd only watches pbs shows, she hates spongebob (and it annoys me!)

Quoting RobynS:

We keep it to a minimum. I like to make sure it's not on AT ALL an hour before bedtime, but DH breaks the rule ALL the time. It doesn't matter that he's not watching something they like--if it's on, they are affected by it. GRRRR.

My kids basically just watch Disney and PBS. No Spongebob or anything like that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2and2onway
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Rather be safe than sorry. He's 4 and started talking at 3. He still bumbles. He doesn't need to learn a different language, mixing it with his own when he can't even speak english. Plus I don't see the purpose in learning a different language.

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Quoting crimsonangel180:

Why not those shows

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

you should research on dual language learning at an early age. Learning more than one language could actually put our children ahead of the game in the workforce later in life.

Danita42
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM
No policy on limit but my boy loves to be outside, so we are mostly outside. When he watches it its usually Curious George, Super Why (both on Netflix) and Sesame Street.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)