Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What your policy regarding the TV?

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter just turned 2 and we allow her to watch TV around 1h per day, half an hour in the morning and half an hour at night. The main reason is for her to be familiar with english because it's not our native language and we speak french at home. 

I never though I would allow my child to watch TV that young, but to be honest sometimes it also the possibility for me to have a little bit of a break in the morning and be able to take my breakfast, otherwise she is constantly running around, ask me to be with her, to do this or that, and if I don't she screams...She is a very energetic and very demanding child :-)

Don't get me wrong I like to spend time with her during the day, but I also like to take my breakfast a little bit peacefully.

I was wondering if you allow your toddler to watch TV, and if yes how long?

I know it will be better for her not to watch it at all, but for now we decided to allow her to watch it.

If you want to share your experience about TV and Toddler I'll be glad to read it :-)

Thanks

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Replies (41-50):
MamaWolf01
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I never really let my toddler watch tv, and as she has gotten older she spends more time outside with some lite computer use then watching tv.

AnGLInterrupted
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

TV (IMO) is not a bad thing.  It's HOW MUCH of it that they watch.  When my daughter was 2 I allowed her to watch a couple of shows during the day (Sesame Street, Super Why, etc.), but mostly she/we played.  I didn't mind her watching the shows that she was watching because they taught her a lot, and the singing on the colors just clicked with her and made everything really interesting.  At the same time, I've always been big on her playing in her room and playing outside and feeding her imagination and her staying active.

Now that she's nearly 5 and in school, the only two rules I have about TV is that she has to be on green that day at school if she wants to watch a show, and her homework has to be completed.  She doesn't get a whole lot of TV time either.

HTLoveMyBoys
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:49 AM

We don't have a policy for tv, my kids get bored of watching tv after awhile so they stop watching on their own so we never had to give them a time limit.

NeOnPrInCeSs3
by Member on May. 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I don't have a tv policy it is on 24/7 but my kids watch it here and there and when they watch it is educational shows that are age appropriate for them.

P.V.Hawkwind
by on May. 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Quoting NeOnPrInCeSs3:

I don't have a tv policy it is on 24/7 but my kids watch it here and there and when they watch it is educational shows that are age appropriate for them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momamouse07
by on May. 19, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Same here. Our tv is mostly background noise. They only ever actually sit down and watch it before naptime and bedtime. I use it as a transition from up and playing to laying down and being still. We only have Netflix and I monitor what they watch. They know what they are allowed to watch. If it's pretty outside we spend most the day outside. But I don't have a problem with the tv being on all the time if we are stuck inside the house.

Quoting HTLoveMyBoys:

We don't have a policy for tv, my kids get bored of watching tv after awhile so they stop watching on their own so we never had to give them a time limit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wendsdy
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Works the same way in my house :)

Quoting 2and2onway:

I have no policy, my kids have TV on 24/7 and they never watch it, it is background noise. None of my kids sit longer than 1/2 hr anyway lol

Ilaynasmommy
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM
I agree. She just turned 3 and the only thing she sits down and watches is a great channel called baby first.

Quoting 2and2onway:

I have no policy, my kids have TV on 24/7 and they never watch it, it is background noise. None of my kids sit longer than 1/2 hr anyway lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaGreenhalge
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2012 at 11:23 PM
I recently instituted a list of TV rules.They can watch 3 shows in the morning and one in the afternoon. They can trade either morning or afternoon TtV time for a movie or trade a show for a half hour of video games. It's still too much, but it's better than it used to be. We don't have cable, so the only choices are PBS shows.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathermarie23
by on May. 19, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Sometimes, not very often me and my 4 year old will watch a tv show or a movie, we don't usually end up finishing it, it turns into background noise... so I don't have a policy really, neither of us really like Tv that much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)