Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Make picky eating a thing of the past with our expert's advice -- and win!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM
  • 278 Replies
5 moms liked this

Want to turn your picky eater into a foodie? Impossible? It might not be! Our expert is here to help you!

Karen Le Billon, the author of French Kids Eat Everything, will be here all next week to answer YOUR questions about getting your kids to eat better, try new things, and grow up enjoying healthy, delicious food. Plus, you could win a copy of her book!

Ask your questions for Karen in the replies below. Karen will post her responses here as well.

Welcome, Karen, and thanks for joining us!

eating

Official Rules

The "Ask Karen Le Billon" Sweepstakes starts on April 19, 2012 at 11:24 am (ET) and ends on April 29, 2012 at 11:59pm (ET) (the "Sweepstakes Period").

Enter by replying to this post with a question for Karen Le Billon during the Sweepstakes Period. Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.

Three (3) winners will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a copy of French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon. The random drawing shall occur on or about April 30, 2012.

*No Purchase Necessary. Open to US residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom_of_two2012
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM

How do I get my son to eat what I cook? All he wants to eat is pizza

NewMom51312
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I have a two year old and he still eats the baby food gerber jars.  He will eat  cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets, spaghetti, and a few other things that I cook for dinner.  He does not like to try new things I try to get him to taste everything, he will turn his head and spit it out even if he might like it.  I still give him baby food becauseIi feel he can get some type of variety. Not sure what to do from here.

mommamcmillen
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:16 PM

My daughter will only eat pizza, grilled cheese, peanut butter, and chicken nuggets. If you give her a turkey burger or any type of ground meat she gags and the only veggie she'll eat is carrots. My son, husband and I will eat almost anything. How do I get her to eat what we make. so sick of making 2 diff meals every day.

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Welcome!  How do I get my daughter to eat vegetables. She will not touch them. I sometimes mash certain veggies and hide them in her food, but I would like her to eat them whole and a variety. Thanks!

KaylaMillar
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:56 PM
How do I get my kids to eat veggies? Is hiding them in other foods a good idea?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Destiny907
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM
12 moms liked this

Okay I had to Groooooaan and eye roll at the "FRENCH kids eat everything" because I roll my eyes also at the "french women don't get fat".  Because they DO SO.   LOL

I remember as a kid, the things I HATED.  Like egg yolks..asparagus.. oh gross. And canned green beans. MILK.

I still do NOT like milk.. but I love asparagus now, and egg yolks.... and green beans. (still prefer fresh however)

And oh I did not like onions as a kid either.  but love them now.

I think we forget that children's taste buds are not jaded yet.  They are bound to taste differently. They don't need all the over-spicing that some adults do, just to get flavor. (my husband is like this- HE piles on the pepper and spices- he's lost most of his taste buds!)

STVUstudent
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 7:05 AM
30 moms liked this

If your kid only eats chicken nuggets and grilled cheese, it is because you LET them eat chicken nuggets and grilled cheese.  I refuse to cook two meals.  You eat what I prepare, or you may have peanut butter and jelly on whole grain bread.

Now, they may WANT only CN and GC, but what loving parent is going to give their child only what they want or everything they want?

My kids do not usually want vegetables, but they eat them- that goes on the plate first- their "appetizer."  Now, I am not giving them roasted asparagas or sauteed spinach... they are getting carrots, green beans, peas... I am offering them basic foods that should be palatable to most preschoolers... but they also eat tofu, chick peas, beans of all types... eating is social, and no child who is offered nutritious palatable food is going to starve... or even go hungry for more than a few hours.  They hold out when they know that mom is going to give them a pediasure shake or a box of chicken nuggets if they don't eat.

CBMMOM
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:21 AM
2 moms liked this

What's to ask that hasn't already been asked?

nancykim1
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:14 AM

My 2-1/2 year old son has a very short list of foods that he will eat, basically anything that is breaded, fried or straight up carbs.  No vegetable or fruit will ever touch his lips.  We still resort to feeding him Stage 2 & 3 baby foods because it is the only way we get anything healthy into him.  How do I get him to expand his palate?

.Angelica.
by Angie on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

How do you get a kid to try a new food when even putting the food on the plate in front of them makes them gag, getting it near their mouth and they will make themselves vomit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)