Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My toddler refuses to brush her teeth

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:09 AM
  • 13 Replies
My one year old won't let me brush her teeth. She clamps her mouth shut and turns her head. I just want to brush them with a wet toothbrush like you're supposed to. It's not like I'm trying to make her use tooth paste and stuff. I've tried making it a game. No luck. She loves when I brush my teeth so I thought she'd do it to mimic me. But no luck there either. What do you do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsm3
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:59 AM

electric toothbrush.  my dd loved it when she got her first few teeth.  

i have an awesome giveaway going:  4-pack of George's Cream.  Content closes April 29.  Click here to enter

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

big_red05
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Or let her pick out her toothbrush..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:03 AM
We had the suger bug talk. lol now my son loves to go and look for then and brush them away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMCorbin84
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

As long as the toothpaste doesn't have floride in it you can put a small dab on a child's brush for them. There are training pastes that are made specifically for toddlers under age 2. My DD loved her pink Hello Kitty electric brush, it was the ONLY way I got her to brush and I gave her a choice at the store so she knew that the one she picked out was special. Good luck!

msjoecool
by Crissy on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:07 AM
According to my children's dentists, you have to just do it. Hold arms, pry open mouths, whatever it takes. Both of my daughters have gone to the dentist every six months since they were six months old.

I just changed dentists for the 20-month-old and the new dentist was pleased that I brush her teeth with a tiny bit of fluoride toothpaste. Using toddler toothpaste is like brushing with jelly.
PeytonHailey
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:15 AM

That same thing is going on with my daughter except shes 2 1/2 almost 3! its a pain in the butt. She wont spit out toothpaste so ive been using the kids stuff without flouride but i dont think that is doing a well enough job. Im also at a loss.

edgymom24
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM
floride is terrible its basically poison that people put in there mouths. Read the labels and you will see a warning if you swallow too much. Toothpaste shouldnt be like that. When you take your kids to the dentist you are aloud to refuse to let them use floride on there teeth. I use Berts Bees natural tooth paste its quite good actually and it makes my teeth feel cleaner than regular.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IndigoOwl
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM
I'll get her one and try this. Thanks!

She's still at the age where she just looks at the brush like "what the heck are you doing?" And refuses to open her mouth. She doesn't get what I'm trying to do at all. I'm not going to get in a physical battle with her cause that will just make it worse but I know she needs her teeth brushed.

Quoting itsm3:

electric toothbrush.  my dd loved it when she got her first few teeth.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IndigoOwl
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't doubt it. I'll have to get into researching all that soon when she starts needing tooth paste. Thanks

Quoting edgymom24:

floride is terrible its basically poison that people put in there mouths. Read the labels and you will see a warning if you swallow too much. Toothpaste shouldnt be like that. When you take your kids to the dentist you are aloud to refuse to let them use floride on there teeth. I use Berts Bees natural tooth paste its quite good actually and it makes my teeth feel cleaner than regular.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IndigoOwl
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM
That's cute. I'll have to try that when she gets a little older.

Quoting KelliansMom:

We had the suger bug talk. lol now my son loves to go and look for then and brush them away.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)