Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Should I Send my 2 Year Old to Preschool?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm serious!  It sounds ridiculous to me, until I know the facts.  Tell me what you think.  We are moving in June.  Our new home is across the street from a preschool.  DH sent me a link to their website when we found the house.  I looked through it.  It seemed nice, but I thought she is way too young to consider it.  I was thinking about sending her to preschool when she's 4, and I had been playing with the idea of not sending her at all, and just sending her to kindergarden.  Then we met the realtor at the house last month and she mentioned the preschool.  She said they have an excellent reputation, like the best in the city, but she thought they had a waitlist.  The next day I went to interview the pediatrician we would be using.  He's wonderful, and we will definitely be using him.  He asked me where we were moving to.  When I told him, he started telling me about the preschool.  He said he HIGHLY recommends it.  He said they do amazing things with the 2-3 year old classes, and gave me a bunch of examples.

So of course I came home and told DH, "We gotta get her in that school"!  LOL!  I did call and talk to the director.  She said they do have a wait list but we would be at the top of it, and most likely get a spot when they start in September.  DD will be over 2 1/2.  Her birthday is in January.  DH took a tour, and was impressed.  I'm hoping to take a tour after she calls and offers a spot.  The times would be Tues. and Thur. from 9-12.  And it's literally across the street.  I will walk her over and walk over to get her everyday.  I was excited at first because I am a SAHM and I thought she would like the interaction with the other kids.  But now I'm starting to back-peddle.  She seems so little, and I'm kinda going back to my original thought of waiting until she's 4, if at all.  Whatch think?

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by Angie on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:53 PM

i would talk it over with your dh. if you can afford it no problem it could be fun for her. we aren't doing preschool here though.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

No harm in giving it a shot.  I am a SAHM as well and didn't start my son until he was almost 4.  I just wasn't ready for him to start that chapter.  I figured he had the next 18 years to go to school so I wanted him home with me.  My daughter will be 3 in July and she's going to start in Sep at my son's school and he'll enter Kindergarten at a public school.  She seems pretty small to be starting school in a few months but she's TOTALLY ready.  You know your child and if you think she'll do fine then you can try it out and see how it goes.  2 mornings isn't very much and you'll get 6 hours a week of Mommy Time!

mariesmama
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM

we just signed my nonverbal 2 and a half yr old up for headstart she will be 3 on august 30th shes working with some programs to try to get her to talk early acess is only available till shes 3

cuppycake91
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I would send my DD if we had the money and we lived near a good school. Sadly our town sucks and we are broke.  lol

aimhawk
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I never dreamed of sending DD until she was 4, but that is me and my kid. I won't be sending DS until he is 4 either.

Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM

My DD's only interaction with other children her age is when my Mom takes her to church on Sundays and the few trips to the park. I would love for her to be in preschool/daycare but we can't afford it. She spends time with my nephews and God-Children .. but it's only every so often and they are older than she is. She loves playing with other children and being somewhere other than our house or families home. 

I'd say try it out .. let her go for a few hours the first day and go from there.

CafeMom Tickers
weirdkids
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM

my daughter was put in daycare at 1 but it was more of a preschool setting. it worked great. she got to interact with kids her own age and it gave her a jumpstart so that when she did start kindergarten she was more than ready for it.

bunnywzrd
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:55 PM

My daughter started at 3. I think it would be ok. You can always pull her out later if you dont' think she is ready. Give it a shot and if it doesn't work out then it doesn't. I don't think 2 days a week 3 hours a day is going to be to hard on her or anything.

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Do you have a medical diagnosis if so you can get additional help and stay in headdtart until 5 or stop at 3 in find a preschool threw the school district . My son was nonverbal at 2 . Once he started headstart in addition to speech Therapy he hasn't stop talking since he's 9 now so good luck.

Quoting mariesmama:

we just signed my nonverbal 2 and a half yr old up for headstart she will be 3 on august 30th shes working with some programs to try to get her to talk early acess is only available till shes 3

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM
You and your husband can take her over there see how she likes it if you can afford I say go for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)