Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Should I Send my 2 Year Old to Preschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm serious!  It sounds ridiculous to me, until I know the facts.  Tell me what you think.  We are moving in June.  Our new home is across the street from a preschool.  DH sent me a link to their website when we found the house.  I looked through it.  It seemed nice, but I thought she is way too young to consider it.  I was thinking about sending her to preschool when she's 4, and I had been playing with the idea of not sending her at all, and just sending her to kindergarden.  Then we met the realtor at the house last month and she mentioned the preschool.  She said they have an excellent reputation, like the best in the city, but she thought they had a waitlist.  The next day I went to interview the pediatrician we would be using.  He's wonderful, and we will definitely be using him.  He asked me where we were moving to.  When I told him, he started telling me about the preschool.  He said he HIGHLY recommends it.  He said they do amazing things with the 2-3 year old classes, and gave me a bunch of examples.

So of course I came home and told DH, "We gotta get her in that school"!  LOL!  I did call and talk to the director.  She said they do have a wait list but we would be at the top of it, and most likely get a spot when they start in September.  DD will be over 2 1/2.  Her birthday is in January.  DH took a tour, and was impressed.  I'm hoping to take a tour after she calls and offers a spot.  The times would be Tues. and Thur. from 9-12.  And it's literally across the street.  I will walk her over and walk over to get her everyday.  I was excited at first because I am a SAHM and I thought she would like the interaction with the other kids.  But now I'm starting to back-peddle.  She seems so little, and I'm kinda going back to my original thought of waiting until she's 4, if at all.  Whatch think?

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Replies (21-30):
1L2CMommy
by Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this

The preschool we're considering is not a Head Start Program.  It's a private preschool, and we can afford it.  That's not the issue I'm having.  She just sems so little to me, I'm worried she might not be ready.  But like some of you ladies said the only way to really know is to send her, and then pull her out if I'm not happy with it.  DH is all for it.  He thinks she'll love it.  I'm sure she will, and she is very smart (of course!).  It's just "mommy-worry" making me think twice.

Quoting hopealways4019:

I didn't know Headstart accept 2 yrs old? In my city at 2 early headstart teachers come into home. But I think the earlier a kid can learn, the better to prepare them for grade school.

bec94
by Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:24 AM
I started my dd in preschool when she was 3, 3 days a week, 9-12. I started to feel guilty, since I'm a sahm. Then she started, and she LOVED it! My youngest is now going to be 3 and starting in September. :-) try it, if she has trouble you can always pull her out and try the next year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vrbtnseele
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:28 AM
If it was a all day every day thing I could understand keeping her home, but its only two mornings! I would do it, it would be good for her, and you! Imagen all the "you" time! What would you do with it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms-superwoman
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:42 AM
Here preschool starts at three and kindergarten starts at four.

I think if you can afford it and think it would be beneficial to your child. Go for it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Will you be able to afford it? I didnt start my older daughter till she was 3 1/2 and then because of her birthday she went for 2 1/2 years. My youngest we will wait till the year before she starts kindergarten to go. Discuss it with your husband and see how you both feel about it. Since it is only 2 days a week for a few hours, it shouldn't be to much for her.
Kimmie.Miller
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM
I would say wait until four but I have trust issues & I'm way over protective. My main concern is if something happens to her would she be able to tell you? If someone harmed her they won't tell you. If you choose to take her no judgment here, every parent & child is different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimmie.Miller
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for the website link. We do workbooks from the store, activities like finger painting, play doh, coloring books etc.... I recently found a website called ABCJesusLovesMe.com

Quoting steffers96:

I wouldn't do it, but that's just me personally. Our son is 3 1/2 and will be starting preschool June 1st when I go back to work (I lost my job in July of last year and it's been SUCH a blessing to be home with him this last year!) Our original intentions were for me to stay home for as long as I could to be with our son. Our thoughts on the matter are like this: Once your child is in school, they will be in school until they are 18 years old or older, depending on if they go to college or not. We believe that as young children, that is when you have the most valuable time with your little ones, so why rush them off to school? If you want to teach your child things to be ready for preschool, that's all good and dandy! I bought some posters that hang in our son's play room that show him numbers and the alphabet, and recently we joined a website called "abcmouse.com" and it teaches a WHOLE BUNCH of neat stuff to toddlers. Our son knows the different numbers, letters, shapes, colors, and even different names of farm animals and dinosaurs from this website. Either myself or my hubby, or sometimes both of us, sit down with our son while he's on my laptop doing the abcmouse.com and we love watching his mind at work!! It's all great and dandy that you're across the street from a preschool, but if I were you, I'd do some serious thinking and praying about that one first. Our son turns 4 in August and in June he'll be in preschool. I believe we are doing the right thing at the right age for him....2 years old, 2 1/2 years old is still just too young. You should do play dates with other moms to get her socialized right now and worry about preschool when she's closer to 4 years old. Spend the mommy/daughter bonding time with her now, because just remember, when they get a certain age, they don't want any involvement with us parents at all. Take advantage of this beautiful time with your little one...ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!   :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JillCA
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

My kids are fulltime daycare/preschool. So not sure if I am the best 2 cents.

My 2 cents is 2 days a week for 6 hours is great. It gets her exposed to school, new kids, and new activities. it also gives you a chance in a new town to make friends.

We transitioned our daughter when she was 2.8 months to preschool...she loved it! Our inhome daycare provider told us it was time, an I thought she was too young :). I was planning on 3 for a traditional preschool type of program.

Good luck!

YzmaRocks
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM
I don't know what I would do. Really, this is a decision that you and your husband should make together. I never planned on doing preschool or school at all with my kids. Tomorrow my 4 year old starts special ed preschool. So never say never!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tranla
by Elisabeth on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Take her on a tour of the preschool and see how she likes it. If she does, it's a great way for her to make friends. I started my daughter in preschool when she was still a few months shy of 3. And she loves it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)