Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Should I Send my 2 Year Old to Preschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm serious!  It sounds ridiculous to me, until I know the facts.  Tell me what you think.  We are moving in June.  Our new home is across the street from a preschool.  DH sent me a link to their website when we found the house.  I looked through it.  It seemed nice, but I thought she is way too young to consider it.  I was thinking about sending her to preschool when she's 4, and I had been playing with the idea of not sending her at all, and just sending her to kindergarden.  Then we met the realtor at the house last month and she mentioned the preschool.  She said they have an excellent reputation, like the best in the city, but she thought they had a waitlist.  The next day I went to interview the pediatrician we would be using.  He's wonderful, and we will definitely be using him.  He asked me where we were moving to.  When I told him, he started telling me about the preschool.  He said he HIGHLY recommends it.  He said they do amazing things with the 2-3 year old classes, and gave me a bunch of examples.

So of course I came home and told DH, "We gotta get her in that school"!  LOL!  I did call and talk to the director.  She said they do have a wait list but we would be at the top of it, and most likely get a spot when they start in September.  DD will be over 2 1/2.  Her birthday is in January.  DH took a tour, and was impressed.  I'm hoping to take a tour after she calls and offers a spot.  The times would be Tues. and Thur. from 9-12.  And it's literally across the street.  I will walk her over and walk over to get her everyday.  I was excited at first because I am a SAHM and I thought she would like the interaction with the other kids.  But now I'm starting to back-peddle.  She seems so little, and I'm kinda going back to my original thought of waiting until she's 4, if at all.  Whatch think?

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Replies (31-34):
lilbit53009
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM

i'm sending my son to preschool in Sept (he'll be 3 next month). i would have sent him sooner but thats when their first opening was.

but my son is very advanced for his age and has been in daycare since 3 months. i can't keep him in daycare any longer because he needs more structure and he wants to school. he went to look at it yesterday...he's so excited!

JayneeDoe
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

My DD started when she could talk and tell me if anything went down.  At first it was a little overwhelming for her (separation anxiety).  Once she figured out it was kinda fun coloring, painting, reading, singing, playground, etc and that we were leaving her there forever.  She has no problem saying bye bye in the morning now.  It really just depends on the child.  She is four now.. goes to the same daycare/prek and understands that she has to go to school bc we all have responsibilities. (i love it when she uses big words heehe)

Mrs.Ziggy
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I would send her.  Especially being in a new town it's a great way for both of you to make some friends and I don't think 2.5 is too young for two days a week at all.

mojonu
by Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM
My ds started going when he turned 3. (now 3 1/2). He goes tues and thurs 915-1145. He loves it and has learned so much. The other day he suddenly belts out the entire pledge of allegiance... I had no idea he knew that! Give it a try it cant hurt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)