Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

What to pack for lunch for daycare...

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM
  • 12 Replies

Ok so my kids are starting daycare for the first time. My grandmom has always watched them so I never had to pack them lunch because she would cook for them. Can I have some suggestions on some healthy things to pack them for lunch??

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
andersongirl562
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Anything that they are able to eat by themselves, no junk food, and nothing overly messy.  I give my kids things like cheese sticks, cut up fruit, single size servings of veggies that can be microwaved and usually pair those things with leftovers from dinner the nightbefore...if I dont have leftovers then I do a sandwhich :)

1smartcookie
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a very picky toddler who will not eat a sandwich, so we send in rolled-up lunch meat, cheese, yogurt, pudding, goldfish crackers, cut up fruit, etc. Or put aside something from dinner and daycare can reheat the next day for lunch.

avonleafan
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM
2 moms liked this

We usually do meat and cheese (kids won't eat bread very often), carrot sticks, yogurt, applesauce, homemade potato chips, crackers............the thing is to make sure it's something they will eat and not something that's iffy. I've sent leftovers a couple of times, and the kids wouldn't eat them! They came home hungry.

HairClipQueen
by Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

this is what we do:

*homemade mini muffins (loaded with pureed veggies or fruit ) There are a lot of healthy recipes out there for mini muffins.

*veggie and fruit.  Buttermilk Ranch dip is awesome to dip veggies.  a little container of greek yogurt to dip apple slices or strawberries.

*raisons, granola bars, whole wheat crackers, cheese cubes, cheese strings, kelbasa/garlic sausage cut up to make homemade lunchables. mini bagles with cream cheese, mini bagles to make mini pizza ; spaggetti sauce or pizza sauce, chopped ham or pepperoni, minced green pepper, motza cheese, melt.( I make these adhead and freeze) I also do the same but with hamburger buns.  mini burgers. sunchips for a treat as well as a pudding. I usually add those to my girls lunch boxes on fridays.  I also make a big batch of fried rice and sometimes add an eggroll and plum sauce for dipping. 

JillCA
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

we give our daughter what we give her at home....find out if daycare has a microwave. Also find out if you can't bring any particular food like peanuts.

We do apple sauce, yougurt, sandwiches (cheese/peanut butter), pasta, meatballs, grapes, strawberries, blue berries, crackers, meatloaf, humus, carrots, cucumbers, tomoto soup, etc

What we found out is that pre-pressure is a great thing at this age for food. Find out what other kids are bringing in and copy that...we did that for the veggies!

Good luck! It will be tough for a couple days as you guys transition to this. We had the same thing...daycare provided food and then preschool only does snack....

jaynyaya
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Thanks ladies all these are very helpful. I have one picky eater and one that eats everything so I kno I can do the veggies for the baby but my other one will be a little challenge.

gcstar42
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Well I am not sure how daycare lunchtime works, but when my son takes his lunch to school some things we put in his lunch are sandwiches (either pbj or mayo and cheese lol cuz he dont like sandwich meat), grapes, apples, applesauce, yogurt (or gogurt), banana, bagels with  cream cheese, tortillas with pbj or cream cheese, tortilla with cheese and cold weinee inside, and then I also usually keep a few lunchables type things in the fridge for days when I wake up late and need to grab him a lunch in a hurry lol.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Apr. 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM

bump

itsm3
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:45 AM

your daycare makes you pack their lunch?  strange... every daycare center i've ever known/heard of provides all meals/snacks.

anyway, i would go with foods they can eat themselves so sandwiches cut up in small squares or triangles, cheese sticks, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes etc.

i have an awesome giveaway going:  4-pack of George's Cream.  Content closes April 29.  Click here to enter

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Find out what Grandma was feeding them and see if you can duplicate it.  Also, check to see if there is a microwave or if you have to pack things that don't need warming.

There's always sandwiches, diced fruit, cheese cubes/sticks, snacky foods in a container, steamed/raw veggies with dipping sauces, and a drink.  

Hope they can adjust well and have tons of fun!!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)