Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

gardening question---UPDATE

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:32 PM
  • 5 Replies

I would like to try to find a nice outdoor potted plant for my 2yo ds to take care of. I have what some might call a black thumb, and even managed to kill a cactus, which I tried very hard to keep alive. We live in KS and in an apartment. The patio does not get sun all day long, but parts of it get their fair share of daily sunlight. Any ideas/suggestions/advice? I would really like to get it for Earth Day, but it is not necessary if I hear about something worth waiting/looking for.

UPDATE----So I did a little research on the "cactus" I bought to ensure that I can know as much as possible about how to keep it alive. Turns out a pencil cactus (what I bought) is not a cactus, but a type of poisonous plant. Apparently the milk in their stems is hazardous and causes terrible irritation of the eyes and skin. Somehow, it is an extremely common plant throughout the US, as both a landscaping plant and a HOUSEPLANT!!! First question: how does that happen? Second question: why do the stores that sell the plant not warn you??? (I don't blame the sales guy. Dh knows him and we don't think he knew it was poisonous). Needless to say, it is not a plant I want for my 2yo taking care of this plant and it is going back as soon as I have time tomorrow. I feel like such a failure as both a gardener and a mother. 

Consequently, I am now back to square one, so keep the suggestions coming!!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mypbandj
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM

personally I would just buy one of those small flowers you get at Lowes or Walmart and a clay pot. Let him color the pot first then plant the flower. If you think you will probably kill it, at least you won't have spent more than $5 on it. 

storkradio193
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I would just buy a couple of flowers.  You can buy soil that helps self-water to make it easier.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

TruthSeeker.
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Sunflowers are pretty hardy.

ragitty
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Apparently not hardy enough...I have killed quite a few in my day lol. I got some sort of cactus-thing that looks like coral. I have actually killed a cactus in my lifetime, but hopefully this one will fare better because it will be outside getting more direct sunlight...

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Sunflowers are pretty hardy.

foistela
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:48 PM

BUMP

Owner of 

Admin of Fall 2008 babies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)